Are Abu Garcia reels "upgrade able" ... specifically the C7000 catfish - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

These are brand new (less than a year old) catfish special 7000's so they should be good to go.

Jeremy

100% without a doubt the 2016 black spool c3 is built way better than previous years, it is the smoothest 7000 size out there...now I have no idea if the specials are built like the new c3 and c4.. Abu went back to the drawing board on that reel....go reel a new c3 at bass pro it has to have the black spool, the second you reel it you will know if your special has the same gears and etc since yours are new.. Hell maybe the c3 was the only one revised and the c4... My old c4 and c3 has that gear wining not that smooth at all makes noise and etc like a ming yang... But my 7000 c3 new one is smooth it is day and not compared to the old ones....surely a 2016 catfish special is built like the new c3..

the catfish special is the same reel as the c3 just orange plates, and you are right Jeremy they are way smoother than older reels, I really like them.

Jeremy

K wasn't for sure..good to know!

So are rocket bearings "better" ... for longer casts?

Every time I read a rocket reel specification it also said they used a 4 point star vs a 6 point so it may not be "just the bearings" that make a rocket reel cast further.

I don't know which bearings are best. A lot will depend on lubrication with grease or cleaning grease out completely and lubricating with oil like 3 & 1.

I am not sure I am right here but think I am. Whether you have a 2,4 or 6 block casting brake should not make a difference in the ability to cast distance because each casting brake block can be pushed all the way in and it should snap into place, locking it in place. It is my understanding that when a person starts out learning to cast these type reels he should be using all brakes but as he improved his ability, he can lock the brake blocks in to get the longer casts. I also have read that when locking brake blocks in, they should be done in a specific pattern. If you have a 4 brake star, you should lock in apposing blocks to maintain balance. If you have a 6 block star, lock in opposites or every other one to maintain balance. Then I have also heard that the blocks are so close and so light that balance does not matter.

You can also remove the brake blocks completely.
    Your only here for a while, do all that you can.

I really need to learn more about Abu component functions...

I am not in a hurry to pull a brand new reel apart - I'll have to pick up a used one at some point.

Yes I know about the youtubes - but I'm pretty conservative on stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot shooter View Post
    I really need to learn more about Abu component functions...

I am not in a hurry to pull a brand new reel apart - I'll have to pick up a used one at some point.

Yes I know about the youtubes - but I'm pretty conservative on stuff like this.

I will have to agree Mike that it is a learning process. At some point, you will want to do some disassembly to clean it so a little work in advance is good.

Youtube is a good tool but finding the right video can be the difficult part.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Garcia bait casters can be disassembled in sections. On the 7000 models, you can easily get to the bearings and brake blocks without getting into the more complicated gear/drag system.

The left side cap can be removed, giving access to the clicking system and the level wind system, again, not getting involved with the more complicated gear / drag system.

Anyway these are just some basic thoughts to help the learning process advance in steps.

A note to remember about the larger knurled knobs that screw on over the ends of the main spool axle. If it has an o-ring present, it should be the last one of the two installed and used to adjust the tension on the axle. If it does not have an o-ring, screw it on first and is should be snugged down slightly. If not, it can inadvertantly come unscrew and be lost.

Keep in mind that there are slight differences between 7000 models. I only have two of the more recent versions so am not speaking about all of them.

Your only here for a while, do all that you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2