5 carp day - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5 carp day

Ray

A couple of new things I noticed when catching these carp is, that I caught all of them them on circle hooks. I was using 2/0 Gama Octo circles for small channel cats.

I've only targeted carp with very small specialized carp hooks before. I just figured circle hooks would be not that effective. They had No problem hooking up, and once that circle hook gets in them, there is no worry of any hook pulls, because it's hooked for good.

There is always a possibility of a hook pull with the smaller carp hooks.

After catching 3 carp, I started using my pineapple sweet corn, which has never skunked me. But on this day it did. A surprise to me.

The only thing they wanted was the night crawlers with the Worm protein extract on them.

Not big news, just something for me to learn from.

Thanks

Try #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks sometime. Never had a problem hooking carp on those smaller hooks running at least a 1 ounce weight, preferably a 1.5 or 2 ounce weight. Hooks carp every time. I've never used a hair rig yet, but then I'm not a bloody Brit. Thanks for the tip on worm protein.

Ray

Default 5 carp day

Thanks for the tips on the #2 and #4 Octo's Snakedog!

I first learned everything I know about carp fishing from all the European videos and articles.

And it was all solid stuff, but they base their rigs off of Carp that are being caught over and over again.

Most of the places that I fish for Carp, the carp have Never been targeted by anyone before, so there is no real big reason to get too technical.

I'm going to try using these basic Gama setups for a while, and see if they continue to produce.

The downside to the small octos is they'll bend out slighty on big fish, but I've never lost one yet. #2's and #4's are light enough you should swap them out after a couple of 20lb'ers. And don't forget Wheaties - an excellent carp bait (especially made with jello) you'll never learn about from the Brits either. No need for overpriced boilies. Pre-baiting with Wheatie balls is very affordable.

HTH, Karl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2