james and potomac river blues

Default james and potomac river blues

fished the james two days, and the Potomac two days this past weekend. Caught a bunch of fish the first day on the james with the biggest being 57#, then things slowed down for us, caught a couple in the 30# range. Went to the Potomac, and were smashing them, but one fish over 30#is all we could come up with, but twenty fish a day makes me feel better about it, lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-04-19 18.10.37.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	269353  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That sounds great David. I have fished the Potomac before but not the James yet. Planned to go this Spring but one thing after another keep popping up and delaying the trip. Got a broken water line to dig up and repair right now. I have a place in VA to stay and a place to park the boat but would be interested in what bait you were using and is there a local place to get it.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Your only here for a while, do all that you can.

Congratulations!!!

what were you using for bait we use to use squid and eel chunks back 20 years ago

we were using shad caught with a 50' gill net, in herring creek. Tom you can buy the net for 50 or 60$, and the permit is 10$. I am not aware of any one in the area that sells shad. I hope you get to experience fishing the james at least once before its too late and the commercial fishermen totally ruin it. I think Maryland is letting them sell the big fish to paylakes on the potomac, and may have already seen the best days of both rivers

Quote Originally Posted by jumpmaster View Post
    we were using shad caught with a 50' gill net, in herring creek. Tom you can buy the net for 50 or 60$, and the permit is 10$. I am not aware of any one in the area that sells shad. I hope you get to experience fishing the james at least once before its too late and the commercial fishermen totally ruin it. I think Maryland is letting them sell the big fish to paylakes on the potomac, and may have already seen the best days of both rivers
    Thanks for the reply David. I would have to learn how to use a gill net. Guess there is always a first time. I had been hearing that both MD and VA were treating the catfish as a problem. Too bad they don't see what a great thing they can be. I can see where controlling their numbers may be necessary but commercial fishing is not the answer that will control the numbers.

Thanks again for the reply on the bait you used.
    Your only here for a while, do all that you can.

Congrats on the great weekend of Blue Cat fishing! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
    Let's Go Fishin'!

James .N

Really nice David.