Most Overrated bait and your favorite bait

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Claude

Default Most Overrated bait and your favorite bait

Remember this is all personal opinion, i never have luck with fresh shad or Bullhead catfish.

Overrated Shad,Bullheads
    Favorite Skipjack

johnnie
    Blog Entries

i dont have skip jack in my local lake but for some reason they out fish cut shad or cut oerch.aint never used bull heads in my local lake.i guess ill have to say skip jacks.flat heads in my local river live perch hands down.

ok already im honk honk honking.

Probably depends on where you fish more than anything.

Jeremy`

I only use bullheads in the spring and the bigger the better. I fish the Mississippi around Quincy and when I got bullheads I'm going after flatheads only and they love them. Most over rated bait in my book is stinkbait. I don't wanna catch dinks. Also I always have fresh shad with me

Cut bluegill. People rave about it around here, while catching 2-3 fish a day. Gotta use that cut bluegill.

Brandon G

Thats kind of a complex question. For flatheads I generally only use live baitfish, Goldfish and bluegill, chubs. slight edge to the goldfish though

For blues Its all about the cut bait, For me and my stretch of the Missouri I think shad is the most over rated. Havent caught much on it, but I have never saw a bait ball on my sonar either so maybe shad are scarce here.

Jeremy`

I use to be against cut bluegill myself but last year on some of them I would cut their tales off and they would still live for awhile. That worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cw606 JR View Post
    Remember this is all personal opinion, i never have luck with fresh shad or Bullhead catfish.

Overrated Shad,Bullheads
    Favorite Skipjack
    Overrated: Bait that is promoted heavily and doesn't catch fish.
    Favorite: Night-crawlers and minnows.

Craig
    Blog Entries

Over rated-stink bait,never caught anything over 8lbs. On it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cw606 JR View Post

Overrated Shad,Bullheads
    Favorite Skipjack
    Claude:

It all depends on what forage fish the catfish in a particular body of water are dining on. To me...that is the key!

My 2 favorite lakes and river are full of schools of shad so I have my best luck on fresh-caught, lively ones...some as big as 12-15"...for blue cats and flatheads.

They are hard to transport in the summer time but that is part of the challenge and a big, round live well with aeration and water treatment is mandatory.

Only problem is 5-10 pound channel cats, largemouth bass and big snapping turtles also gorge themselves on shad.

Second best bait is fresh cut shad...and I mean just dead...kept on ice...not frozen!

A second cooler with a bag of ice is a must in order to store them as they die.

Goldfish, big bluegills, creek chubs and suckers also work but shad seems to be their favorite meal at any given time.

When catfish are feeding, I have never found a bad bait.

Again...whatever the big catfish are eating is what I like to use for bait and sometimes a 16" Northern River Redhorse or white sucker hooked in the dorsal fin or tail is best if you know where a big flathead is holed up.

Good luck with your search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast