Shimano Rods? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Shimano Rods?

Quote Originally Posted by rnickel17 View Post
    Brad, it seems like you've tried out a Darn good amount different Rods over the years?

Over the years, I've enjoyed reading some of your discussions or reviews on some of them. Otherwise I wouldn't have known about them.
    Ray I have tried a lot of rods over the years. Mostly because when I started there was just not that many decent rods out there, especially for circle hooks. Fifteen years ago finding the proper rod for catfishing with circle hooks (especially big channels) I searched high and low before I found one that I really liked. Now as catfishing is going main stream and companies are coming out with new choices there are more to try. A couple have hit the mark and a few will come and a few will go that still don't have it right. The other day I found a new one at a shop that was nearly perfect in action and totally not built right for the job. With just a couple tweaks I could make it great. This is what happens when older fishing companies try to get into the "new" catfish market but don't understand what is wanted or needed.

Ray

Very well said Brad! I've been tempted to buy a few of those rods that just need some tweaks, then have either me or a custom guy fix those tweaks.

I havent pulled the trigger on that idea yet though.

Now with how many rods on the market, it gets a little overwhelming,

Like trying to pick what deodorant to buy at Walmart! Geez, like 40 different kinds.

I'm still scared to go down that isle!

You know I was very lucky that a rod company came to me with some samples a couple years ago to see what I thought. I ended up signing on with them and can't say enough about the rods for the quality and the price points of the rods. I got lucky there but I always try stuff just to know what is out there and happening.

Ray

Brad, I finally got a chance to put those rods in my hands at the Catfish Conference this year.

You did right on those rods. Light in weight, Perfect actions, and great guides. I was surprised by the great $ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rnickel17 View Post
    Brad, I finally got a chance to put those rods in my hands at the Catfish Conference this year.

You did right on those rods. Light in weight, Perfect actions, and great guides. I was surprised by the great $ as well.
    I liked the action on a circle hook and how they felt when they fought fish. They have survived a year in my boat twice and that in itself is a testament to quality.

Ray

Heck Yeah! With the Crazy amount of lbs. you put on those things each year.

Each rod manufacturer should have you put all their rods through your Gauntlet of fishing tests! Lol

Everything I represent has to go through at least part of a year with my abuse or I will not stand behind it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4