Grumman 15' Sport Boat

Pete Tschantz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grumman 15' Sport Boat

My neighbor is selling his 15' Sport Boat with an 8hp Mercury outboard for a very attractive price.

Does anybody have any experience fishing out of one of these boats? I know it probably wouldn't be a good Big River boat, but I think it would work pretty good on the waters I usually fish.

Thanks to anyone with feedback.

Tim
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know what a "sport boat" is but I have a 1998 Grumman 1648 with a Johnson 25hp on it.. My first boat and its been great so far...

Pete Tschantz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sport Boat

It is one of the almost canoe shaped hulls with a square stern. It is pretty wide, and from looking at mostly Duck hunting forum posts, very stable.

Matt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

They are awful narrow for fishing...

Pete Tschantz

Post Thanks / Like

Default they are narrow

I'm just thinking a boat in the hand is worth two in the catalog.

Might not be the ideal platform, but it would get us off the bank, and it doesn't have to be the last one i ever buy........

Bryan Sirotkin
    Post Thanks / Like

if the price is right and you've got the $ go for it... you can also probably add motifications to it and sell it for more then you bought it for and buy and even better boat for your waters... part of the reason i have 3 boats...a canoe, jon and trihull... all have their own purposes and they can handle their own as long as i am able to keep them in a comfortable situation for them...

Alfred Price-Williams
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minimum maint.

Quote Originally Posted by tatersalad
    I'm just thinking a boat in the hand is worth two in the catalog.

Might not be the ideal platform, but it would get us off the bank, and it doesn't have to be the last one i ever buy........
    I would never modify it.They are classics,no longer made and you could hurt your resale value.I would ask to try it as it is nether fish nor fowl as far as boats go.It may or may not be suitable for you and your type of fishing.I was interested once.I bought the heavy duty 17 foot Whitewater instead.I also own a Grumman 8 ft. dingy.Non of these boats are made anymore.With proper care,these boats will last forever.Luck.peewee-williams

John
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I had a 1548 grumman bass boat.

I had a 1995, 1548 grumman bass boat bought it new. The motor was a 30 horse johnson (modified v-hull) (starter boat) never gave me any problems but I had to sell mine it was just to small and narrow only storage was under the seats and front deck... The carpet was getting ruined by the catfish slime. Sold mine and bought my 19' center console bay boat and haven't looked back... One modification I did to mine was put a 12 gallon gas tank under the front deck with a console mounted fuel gauge for those long fishing trips...

They are decent boats and your right a boat in hand is better than two in a catalog...

Only you can decide if it meets your needs!!!!

Pat Chaney
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete - ask to take the boat out for a trial run. Take your neighbor too, so that he can answer whatever questions you may have. I agree that it won't be your 1 and only boat, and it will get you off of the bank. I think that 8hp is a pretty small motor for Wylie, especially if you have to fight the wakes of those weenies with their big-a$$ed boats & PWC's, but as long as you're careful and not in a big hurry you should be ok. Worst case scenario you buy it, don't like it after a while, and you have to sell it. Probably won't lose to much, if any, of your initial investment. If you do get it (you really want to, don't you :big_smile: ) make sure you get the Title & Bill of Sale so that you can get it registered with as little harrassment as possible.