Cypress Creek, Spring Creek, Texas

Ike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cypress Creek, Spring Creek, Texas

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend just recently started fishing heavy, and I mean like 4 to 3 nights a week all day. I am a more of a saltwater fisherman and I have the big ugly stiks and reels and alot of the tackle to catch bigger fish. unfortunatly the beach is farther from here than where I used to live in Winnie, so we decided our game would be catfish and bait (sunfish). However no matter where I fish, or what I have fished with so far have I caught a keeper sized channel cat. She caught over 40 perch saturday , includeing a Longear that wieghted out at damn near 3 lbs, and I caught 5 gar on them. I know there are catfish in there because when we use stinkbait we catch hundreds of 7 to 12 inch channels and flats and a few weeks ago I snagged a nice 10 lb blue cat out of Spring creek in a rainstorm. turned him loose though as I stopped on a Lunch whim on the way to a service call for work. Any catters in this area got any tips or advice on where to fish and/or what to use for bait? So far I been useing a 3 to 4 inch bluegill or Longear swivelrigged to a 3/4 oz weight on Both of my surfrods. All I catch is softshell turtles and 3-4ft long gator gars.

thanks Ike and April

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are up near I-45 in the Spring area, its not that far to Lake Conroe. Of course, then, there is the question of whether you have a boat or are bank fishing. If you are fishing Spring and Cypress Creeks, then I assume you are bank fishing. If that's the case, there is a National Forest campground called Cagle on FM 1375. You can bank fish there. If you have a boat, almost any of the marina's mid-lake and above would be a good starting point, as well as Cagle. I'm partial to Cagle because there are lots of stumps up that way and it keeps down the jet ski riff raff.

Also off 1375 is Stubblefield Nat'l Forest campground. If there's enough water in the river there, the fishing can be good both from the bank and from a boat. Unknow to a lot of people, if, instead of turning right to go to Stubblefield, you go left, the gravel Nat'l Forest Road will take you to where it deadends into the Caney Creek arm of Lake Conroe. There's plent of bank fishing there.

Another choice is Lake Houston. But, bank access is limited to Duessan Park down by the dam off Beltway 8 or at Luce's bayou on FM 2100 off FM 1960 at Huffman. Down below the Luce Bayou bridge, you can park and fish about a 1/4 mile of shore line.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try Lake Woodlands

Try Lake Woodlands. Man made but 10 ft deep and lots of catfsih and white perch.

If you have a kayak, small boat, or canoe fishing under the bridge down from the mall has lots of cats. Chicken liver last time I fished there.

I started kayaking there 4 or 5 years ago and not been back since I got into saltwater.

Used to be losts of ch trees growing in some of the coves but hard to find but the white perch are slabs.

Some people fish at the park and launch there too park just across the bridge but it is too crowded for me.

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

JimD, good to see another kayaker. I fish mainly for cats from mine these days and, since I live almost on top of Lake Houston, have begun fishing there most often.

Ike

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a boat but I have plans to buy a good alum one or a 2 seater kayak in the future provided my bills don't drastically go up and my job keeps giveing me OT. Won't be till next summer though. Got any kayak advice to share or ever used one of those little bass boats with the swiveling chairs on them? I can get a good deal on one of them.

Thanks for the advice, we never catch anything bank fishing in lake woodlands, well I take that back we catch when we go down research forest and turn into the apartment complex behind the exxon, Good spot for small bass and crappie back there that connects into Lake Woodlands..no cats or gar though.

Ike and April

Jerry Fletcher
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather than buying a tandem kayak, get two singles, you'll be happier. Tandem's are know as divorce boats. The two seater little bass barges are ok in small waters, fairly comfortable. As for kayaks, if you want a tandem, try to find and Ocean Kayak Malibu II. For singles, a lot depends on your weight. If under 200 lbs and in the less than 6"1" class, the Ocean Kayak Speck sold by Academy is a nice one. Academy also sells two other good fishing kayaks in the same price range, the Mainstream Kingfisher and the Pelican Castaway. I prefer the Kingfisher, though the Castaway is a better looking boat.

For good information about kayaks, especially the more expensive ones, check out texaskayakfisherman.com, the best source for information on kayaks in our area. Also, Southwest Paddlesports is near you on I45 around the Robinson Road area, right on the interstate. Great kayak dealer, but most of their kayaks are over $800.