Stocked Trout Pond Fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stocked Trout Pond Fishing

Im going to be renting a cabin in a couple of weeks. There are 2 stocked trout ponds there we can fish in for free. Anybody got any tips for catching trout from a pond? The last time I pond fished was probably 15 years ago and it was a Cat/Bream pond on a farm.
    I plan to throw a few flies and also use crickets if live bait is allowed. Ive got a fly rod and also spinning and baitcasters. It's catch and release but I don't eat fish anyway so I don't really care.

Benji Caywood
    Post Thanks / Like

all of the power bait for trout works as well as salmon eggs and little inline spinners, corn and even chicken livers believe are not. good luck to bad its catch and release trout almost taste as good as catfish.

Kyle
    Post Thanks / Like

small spinners, worms, trout powerbait, crickets, native fly hatch flies, all work. stocked pond trout are normally easier to catch than in the streams.

Brian Cummings
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are using powerbait it is next to dfificult to relase the trout sucessfully alive. I would use barbless hooks in those situations and use inflated nightcrawlers on light line. Also kastmasters and roostertails works wonders but sometimes if the fish gets the treble down in their mouths it can damage them for release. I have had great sucess with just mini jigs as it is a single hook and I have caught many trout on it jigging as if i was fishing for crappie. Add a mealworm on the end on the mini jig and that makes it even better. Also easier to release trout when using mini jigs.

Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for all the tips guys.

Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

Bait fishing and catch and release dont mix! I highly recomend some beadhead nymphs. You can work em slow n deep which is gonna be your best bet for summer time trout in ponds.

Mark Haught

Post Thanks / Like

A god assortment of flies and spinner baits should do the trick. It has been mentioned, but corn has worked very well for me in stocked ponds.

Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of corn. I took my little boy (4 at the time) fishing in a creek once. We were using corn for bait, I turned around to tell him something and he was eating my bait! He is 10 now and I still try to get him to eat the bait but he don't seem to want to try nightcrawlers:smile2:

Mark Haught

Post Thanks / Like

When I was twelve fishing for trout that is the reason we brought two cans, one to eat and one to fish with, childhood memories at their best.

Brian Cummings
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One thing about using corn for trout is that they can not digest it as easily as other fish. I have caught trout woth corn in their stomachs from people chumming and it is a testiment to them eating it. But have also seen floating trout as well. One private lake near me stated that a lot of the ones turned up a few years ago was due to chumming corn. Probobaly not the best thing to use for catch and release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast