Quantcast
Pro's cons between the 150 Four Stroke XL v. 150 Opitimax Pro XS & 150 Verado

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pro's cons between the 150 Four Stroke XL v. 150 Opitimax Pro XS & 150 Verado

I'm buying a new boat soon and was trying to weigh the pros & cons of the engine choices I can make for the boat. I thought I would ask some more expereince boaters their opinions on engine choice. The choices I can pick are the 150 four stroke XL, 150 Opitmax Pro XS, and the 150 Verado. Boat is the 19 ft Targa WT.

My list of most important criteria is. Engine reliability,fuel efficency, performance. Also want an engine that's not too noisy. Anybody have their opinions on which engine I should pick? I know a guy who has a 150 four stroke Yamaha and I really like it. Its nice and quiet and performs well. I haven't been around a lot of 2 stroke engines, so I'm not really familar with how reliable they are and how easy they are to maintain v. a four stroke. Thanks for your help.

Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 150 optimax and I love it, lots of power and good mileage.

Dennis
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Yammie hammer F150. Great motor thus far!!! And quiet to.

Dennis
    Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha 4 stroke Quiet,efficient, easy to maintain. I have my third one(200 now). Had them on previous boats. No trouble at all.

Randall Duhon
    Post Thanks / Like

Going by the criteria you have listed, I would go with the 150 fourstroke XL.

USCA ACCOUNTS
    Mutt
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Nothing wrong with any of them 3 motors. I myself would go with the 4 stroke. As for yamaha or Merc I would take the Merc but thats me. The yamaha is a good motor also. I would go with the one you can get service for real easy in your area and the one that is a better deal. The optis are a good motor but any more I would shy away from a 2 stroke. Dont know about your area but here where i am at 2 strokes are being phased out lots of places 2 strokes are not allowed any more at all.

josh
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the opti and love it. Plenty of power and good fuel economy. A friend of mine has the merc 4 stroke its a very good motor also his is a little more quiet than mine. Its all in what you prefer.

Matt Merten
    Post Thanks / Like

For performance 150 Pro XS. I have the 2012 175 pro xs and the performance is top notch and the milelage is pretty darn good too. It is not a quiet as a 4 stroke, but it isn't really that loud at all for a 2 stroke. I was surprised the first time I ran the motor at how quiet it was, compared to older 2 strokes.

Thomas
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

They are still hanging lots and lots of boats around here with newer generation 2 stroke motors, so I don't see them going away around here any time soon. A number of boat dealers have gone back to them for performance. I like the quiet 4 stroke motors and have owned two (a 225 Yamaha and a 115 Merc). I had injection pump issues eventually with both of them from gas problems and the Merc was definitely cheaper to repair (partly because it was a 115, of course). The shop where I had the 225 repaired showed me the difference in parts cost of the Yamaha vs. the Merc and it was substantial just for the parts. My father runs a Yamaha 4 stroke and absolutely loves his.

One of the downsides to the Optimax, which I have in my boat now (200 HP inboard jet - Mercury SportJet) is that you have to run Optimax oil in it, which is kind of pricey depending on where you get it (anywhere from 42.00 a gallon to the cheapest place I've found it locally at 26.99 a gallon for a case of 3 gallons). Good luck with the choice!

Thomas

Chad
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys thanks so much for all your opinions and help! I am starting to lean towards the 2 stroke Optimax Pro XS because of the weight issue. Had a freind who is a marine mech say that the four stroke 150 adds a lot of weight to the targa with live wells filled and equipment on board. Does anyone know the weight of each engine? 150 four stroke XS and the 150 Optimax XS? and their GPH usage? I asked the salesman there but didn't get much of an answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast