Winter Crappie fishing - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mason
    Post Thanks / Like

I try for them whenever I go , I keep saying aloud that I'm after blues and crappies , but have managed a 1 per month average , with January being the exception. I use minnows , the last time I went , the water was so cold , it stunned them when I'd cast them out. Hopefully , I'll improve within the next 2 weeks. Everytime I leave for home , I have at least a dozen minnows left. Surprisingly , they survive the trip back , I usually save them for the next outing.

Daniel
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres some serious itchin to spyder rig for crappie here. They due to move and start staging in deeper water next to shallow. We went out the other day marked a area loaded with bait and some bigger fish but not a hit, did catch a few. It always amazed me how 1 day theres no crappie then BOOM theres 1000's. Need to fill the freezer with some tasty fish.

Jamie
    Post Thanks / Like

And remember you ALWAYS hear of people breaking off huge cats while crappie fishing...and some being landed...just food for thought.

Alex
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    I have seen the areators, too, I believe they help keep the water from freezing around the dock as quick. I could be wrong though.
    Yea thanks, someone on crappie.com said the same thing. I would imagine this would help attract fish? I caught all my bait around that dock.

BOB
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

My neigbors brother lives on Tablerock and we are waiting for his call telling us they have moved in the channel and its on until they hit the banks in a couple of months. Winter crappie fishing is crazy good if you know where and when and I NEVER DID until a couple years ago and now its like I give em all away cuz I still have crappie from last year

Jess Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by kensell View Post
    Yea thanks, someone on crappie.com said the same thing. I would imagine this would help attract fish? I caught all my bait around that dock.
    I think the dock and all the brush attracts the fish. The aerator just keeps the water from getting hard. I know the docks I fish, the colder the better. It seems when it is 10 degrees out everything is sucked under them.

Greg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

yeah, from what I gather, jess is right. just keeps the water wet a little longer. I think people do this so they can fish their docks a little longer? I also read this reasoning on CDC, great place!

Alex
    Post Thanks / Like

Caught 12 keepers and about twice as many dinks fishing docks with brush piles in 15-20' of water today.

Greg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

sounds like a good dinner in the makings!

Jess Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by kensell View Post
    Caught 12 keepers and about twice as many dinks fishing docks with brush piles in 15-20' of water today.
    You fishing LOZ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast