Stockton Lake

Thread: Stockton Lake

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton Lake

The channels have started collecting in the deep spots along the bluffs. They have been running around 30' deep and biting fairly aggressively. WEater temp from 53 to 57 right now.

jim wainwright
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton

THANKS for report,Neal not many people fish for cats on Stockton, I would think it would be a sleeper on large flatheads to.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primitivefrn View Post
    THANKS for report,Neal not many people fish for cats on Stockton, I would think it would be a sleeper on large flatheads to.
    You are right. Except the spring spawn period the catfish are relatively unfished. There are a lot of 4 to 7 lb channels and countless 2 to 4 lbers. There are good numbers of flatheads too. I only day fish so I don't get too many flatties. I have caught a few in the 20 to 35 lb class. Don't sprerad the word though, I want to keep Stockton a secret. lol

BOB
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Just got back from there today, was slow to say the least, THEN THE WIND CAME UP.

jim wainwright
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton

Lived @ Stockton for 20+ years, have walked alot of the area, thats now lake, hunting arrowheads. knew several of the old timers that use to hand fish, their is stores, of large flatheads that were caught, 70+ lbs is the biggest, I heard of.
    scuba divers speared a lot around dam for a while . I think they may have stoped that.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Since 9/11 they have really clamped down on people bank fishing around the dam or on the rock rip rap near the dam. You can still boat up to the rope/bouys and fish though. The wife and I caught some more channels today near twin bridges. Tough fishing in this wind though. Biggest two were 3 1/2 and 4 1/2.

BOB
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I sure wish the MDC would put blue cats in stockton, I used to fish for them and now as Scottie says they are, MUDPERCH

jim wainwright
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton

Their some blues in Stockton, but they don't seem todo well, The biggest I've caught around 6lb. their been some bigger caught around Aldridge. haven't fished Stockton for several years & then it was for walleye, Scotty might be a closet Channel Cat catcher, I bet he's even caught Bullheads Neil are those channels tasting alright, alot of pople won't eat channels from Stockton. from what I've, too fat, have a lot of yellow flesh.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

The channels are great out of Stockton. Every now and then I will catch one (especially in the early spring) that is full of algae and the meat is yellow and strong tasting. Maybe one out of twenty is that way. Unluckily you don't know until you clean them but most of them are excellant.