Need a little advice on Missouri river catfishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a little advice on Missouri river catfishing

I am kinda new to this catfishing thing. i caught some as a kid but never went serious until recently. Did manage to get the wife into it tho and its something we can do together that we both enjoy. However, all we seem to catch in the local lakes and such are little ones. I would like to get into the fish that you guys are talking about out of the missouri river but don't know how to get started. I have a couple of big cat rods and reels spooled with 20lb line but really don't know what to do with them. Any help? I am pretty confident we would be content with a couple of stringers of 5-10lb fish. I do have a 16ft. jon boat with a little trolling motor but no outboard but m looking for one. Thanks in advance for the help I am sure I will get.

john
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default Need a little advice

Hi rob and welcome to the best catfising site on the web. There are some big fish in the Missouri just waiting for you and your Bride.First I would recomend you useLive bait shad, bluegills,chubs or cutbait of the same. larger cats (channels,flats,and blues) prefer live bait or fresh cut bait.If your fishing from the bank I would try and find some structure log jams, wing dikes. Or channel breaks or deep holes in the daytime. Structure is important so try to find it if possible and place your bait by it. also when you get a motor it will open up alot of different options. I wouldent put the flat bottom on the big mo. with just a trolling motor though as I feel you would be asking for trouble it (the river) just runs to swift. but you might also try driftfishing on some lakes It works great, Just let the wind move you and you can cover alot of area. Hope this helps. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

Jeb
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Hey Rob, Welcome to the BOC. I'm sure all your questions about catfishing can be answered here..... not by me however, as I am relearning...:big_smile:

John "Cuz" Alle
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Rob. Welcome to the BOC. Spend a few hours reading the threads on this website and you will be catching some fish in no time. Sounds like your rod setups are up to the task. Like JD said, a motor will open up alot of opportunities for you. Good Luck in your search for the big cats. You certainly are in one of the best areas in the country for the big ones.

Curtis
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site.

What area of Missouri are you in? We might be able to point you in a direction that will get you closer to the bigger fish.

And don't put down the smaller lakes and such. They often have some pretty big fish in them. One of the smaller lakes around here did pretty well for me (and I know there are bigger ones in there) until I moved. Now I am closer to Truman Dam than I am to the smaller lakes so I fish there.

Don Schulte
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board new_kat!
    You have come to the right place to learn about catfishing.

Bill Mocca
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about Biology, I don't know much about Geometry, but what I do know in bluefishing and best way to learn is the BOC...:misdoubt:

Red Kellogg
    Post Thanks / Like

Howdy and welcome. For the bigger cats, generally blues and flats, with the occasional channel, fish with live or fresh cutbait. Blues aren't that structure oriented other than spawn, and tend to be in DEEP open water. Usually right at the bottom of an underwater bluff. For flatheads, you can still catch 'em on the bluffs, but they are slaves to woody cover. Fish logjams for them. That's just the general guidelines I go by. To get more in depth you could visit the library. It's huge and gives great tips. And anymore questions just post 'em. Again welcome to the boc.

-Red

Dave Sitton
    Post Thanks / Like

New one of the other brothers said it really depends on where you are fishing..I hit the Missouri around the Washington area and motor up stream..that is from years of having old motors that I was not sure of..now I have a new one but all my fishing holes are...up stream!.. We have been catching 2 to 6 pound cats the last few weekends and one 16 pound flat off a limb line in the main channel..that was after I told my brother flats would not be hitting in the main channel..shows ya what I know.. There are several areas I would be glad to show ya if you were in this area.

John "Cuz" Alle
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like the bite is picking up your way also Dave. Nice Job. The flats have been biting pretty good on the Miss in the main channel the past two weeks as well. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast