Fishing After A Storm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Anders
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing After A Storm

I was thinkin about going out fishing tonight but we had a storm blow through today. Does anyone no how this affects the fish? Please any experiences with help thanks.

Zakk Royce
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually I have pretty good luck after a storm. Depending on if it rained a lot or not, if it didn't rain a lot, the fishing is usually the same as always, but if it rains hard, I like to fish at the mouth of a feeder creek. Works for me, I say, go fishing man!

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

I never fish after a storm unless it rains and we have high wind and thunder just before I go fishing.

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom: I don't have much after a storm but somehow the fish know when it's going to storm, I think the pressure tells them there is a storm comming so they feed up because they don't know how long the storm will last. After the storm the fish are full and sometimes don't feed for a day or two. I find the third day after a storm returns them to normal if the pressure stays steady.

I have also noticed that the best bite is the first 30 minutes to one hours of the pressure drop. my best catches have been when I'm already on the water when the pressure starts to drop. Fish can feed up really quick, I mean they could eat until busting in just a few minutes.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan
    After the storm the fish are full and sometimes don't feed for a day or two. I find the third day after a storm returns them to normal if the pressure stays steady.
    Yes, that seems to be how it works, especially in muddy water. The mud gets stirred up alot during a storm, and that may also affect the fishing. The bad thing lately, is it seems to rain almost every other day around N. IL, and the fishing never gets a chance to recover before the next storm (as opposed to last near with no rain which negatively affect the fishing too). I always wondered if a lot of food gets washed from shore into the water (worms, etc) so after the storm the fishing is not good because of a glut of available food.

Jason Persinger
    Post Thanks / Like

here in west virginia around the huntington area seems like the channels bite good on the water rising. but when it goes down the falthead eat..this how its worked for me...

Bob Brown

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that the cats are on the slow side after a storm for a couple of days. Before a storm comes thru the fishing usually seems much better.
    (This is not a hard rule though.):big_smile:

Bart
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After a storm

My old man used to say that the fish won't bite when the water is falling....after a flood. I believe it. My best fishing is right before and during a storm. I read a study by some biologist about catfish growth a long time ago. He said that catfish gain all their weight during floods. They also look to supplement their diet in the flood plain with insects and small rodents caught in the flood. He (the biologist) was talking about the adverse effects of dams on large river catfish.

zeke

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing

ive alwys had the best luck fishing after a storm

Martin Kirby
    Post Thanks / Like

We have gone during the storm and right after the storm and it don't seem to make a difference, but the night after the storm seems to make a big difference in the bite. If it storms that day and we go that night the bite is slow. If it storms that night and we fish later that night, the bite is slow. If it storms that day or night and we go the next night, the bite seems to be very good. So my opinion is the night after the storm is the best fishing. But like I said that's just my opinion. :smile2:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast