Freshwater River Shrimp Traps...ever Use Or Make Em'??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shaun
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freshwater River Shrimp Traps...ever Use Or Make Em'??

I Learned From An Old Cajun Friend About Freshwater Shrimp. They Used To Bake A Box Trap Out Of Water Logged Cypress To Catch Their Catfish. River Shrimp Can Stand Upright And Are Not Clumsy Out Of Water And Have Pinschers Kinda Like A Crawfish. When U Stand In The River U Can Feel Em' Bitin On Ur Legs...the First Time I Experienced This It Totally Freaked Me Out! Theres Millions Of Em' Out There. They Can Strip A Fish Carcass In An Hour. All U Have To Do To Make A Trap Is Take A Regular Minnow Trap That U Can Find With The Smallest Sized Mesh, Make A Bait Hook By Shaping A Wire Coat Hanger Into A Spring-like Hook... Ummm...i'd Have To Bend One And Take Pics Of It For Ya'll...i'll Do That Tonight...anyways, Just Take A Fish Carcass Or Slice-up A Small Whole Fish Or Put Guts Or Maybe Shrimp In A Stocking, Hook It On And Throw Out Into The River...voila, You'll Have Beautiful River Shrimp. They Taste 100 Times Better Than Any Saltwater Shrimp Ever And The Catfish Love Em. They Are So Plentiful In The River That It Makes Up A Large Percentage Of Their Diet. U Can Also Use Store Bought Shrimp, But Use Small Pieces B/c River Shrimp Dont Grow As Big As Saltwater Shrimp. I've Had Luck With Both In The River And Elsewhere. If Any1 Wants Any Know-how On Any Kind Of Trap Building...gimme A Holler...thanks For Lookin'!!
    Shaun

Fred Rankin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shrimp Traps

I now live in Benton, La. Years ago I went to the Louisiana
    State Prison at Angola; not as a prisoner, I was visting a friend who was a guard that lived on site. He had shrimp traps in the mississippi river near Angola. He boiled some for supper. The shrimp were small, but spicy - I could not fill up, but I ate a lot trying.

Can you purchase river shrimp to eat? Where?

How far up the mississippi river do the river shrimp go?
    What other rivers are they in and how near central Louisiana.

I think my friend's shrimp traps floated on top of the water. They were like slat traps made of cypress lumber.

keagan "flanders" sander

Post Thanks / Like

Default da cajun angla

How would a guy go about making a small shrimp trap? there is a small resivoir near here and in my underwater camera i can see a whole ton of tiny shrimps. I have also seen whitefish eating these shrimps. They seem to hang on to the minnows i use for bait and i get a few stuck on when i pull my line up. I want to try using them for bait but i also want to try eating them. what kind of trap should i try? i also have one like this.
    would you recomend it if i put shrimp netting on it? what about if i turned the neck of a 2 litre bottle around? like this.

Denis (Denny) A
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed-Help us out

Ed Shields, who sometimes posts on BR area uses "river shrimp" for bait. The way he was describing it, you bait up a screen type trap. He said he throws them along willows in the river at high levels. He freezes them for bait for later use. He says they outfish regular saltwater shrimp quite a bit. Maybe he will post. Ed...Ed.....

Stu
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught some in the cast-net before, and I have to say, within a few minutes something had stripped me clean. Too bad I didn't catch any other bait that day. :confused2:

keagan "flanders" sander

Post Thanks / Like

Ed...Ed... What do you use for bait? What kind of trap do you recomend? Would you say that either of those traps would work?

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never even heard of them before! That's what I like about this site:big_smile:. I wonder if they're in the Red river as far north as Shreveport.

Emmett Jones
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if they're up here but I'd sure like to find out!!

Shane
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the bait shop's down the road from me sale's them. I will have to try them out. The owner of bait shop told me that the commercial cat-fishermen use only one per hook, they must work pretty good!

Paul Furry (Ef

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the post...was new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by da-cajun-angla View Post
    I Learned From An Old Cajun Friend About Freshwater Shrimp. They Used To Bake A Box Trap Out Of Water Logged Cypress To Catch Their Catfish. River Shrimp Can Stand Upright And Are Not Clumsy Out Of Water And Have Pinschers Kinda Like A Crawfish. When U Stand In The River U Can Feel Em' Bitin On Ur Legs...the First Time I Experienced This It Totally Freaked Me Out! Theres Millions Of Em' Out There. They Can Strip A Fish Carcass In An Hour. All U Have To Do To Make A Trap Is Take A Regular Minnow Trap That U Can Find With The Smallest Sized Mesh, Make A Bait Hook By Shaping A Wire Coat Hanger Into A Spring-like Hook... Ummm...i'd Have To Bend One And Take Pics Of It For Ya'll...i'll Do That Tonight...anyways, Just Take A Fish Carcass Or Slice-up A Small Whole Fish Or Put Guts Or Maybe Shrimp In A Stocking, Hook It On And Throw Out Into The River...voila, You'll Have Beautiful River Shrimp. They Taste 100 Times Better Than Any Saltwater Shrimp Ever And The Catfish Love Em. They Are So Plentiful In The River That It Makes Up A Large Percentage Of Their Diet. U Can Also Use Store Bought Shrimp, But Use Small Pieces B/c River Shrimp Dont Grow As Big As Saltwater Shrimp. I've Had Luck With Both In The River And Elsewhere. If Any1 Wants Any Know-how On Any Kind Of Trap Building...gimme A Holler...thanks For Lookin'!!
    Shaun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast