Quantcast
Fishing after a heavy rain ?

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jim
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing after a heavy rain ?

For those of you in the immediate path of hurricane Isaac, I wish you well.

With that being said, we expect anywhere from 2" - 6" of rain in south-central Illinois this weekend due to Isaac.

I've heard that fishing can be good after a good rain as the rivers, lakes or reservoir levels rise.

If your current lake/river is low, how soon after would you try to fish IF this hurricane was to bring lots of rain to your area?.....after the sediment settles and water clarity returns? while the water is muddy (and possibly still rising) but new bait and food sources are being washed into and entering the lake/river?

I'm wanting to head out this Sunday as I have to work Saturday and Monday. I need to make the most of the one day I have this week to fish....if I'm not dove hunting

Thanks for any info.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, the record Blue cat was caught on a river that was flowing heavy from a very recent storm! What's it hurt to try, especially as messed up as fishing has been this year?

A.J.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in eastern Missouri and plan on fishing before during and after these rains I always clean house when the river is on it's way up and its good up till the time it starts dropping, never do good when the water level is dropping but that's just from my experience, good luck bro

steve
    Post Thanks / Like

On the rise and the muddier the better for daytime . By the time it starts going down most fish are already stuffed from all the new forage that got stirred up . Im hoping we get a good flushing here we had plenty rain here but no high water and some of my spots are getting to trashy to fish .

jeremy jerm
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

well i learned about fish patterns from watching my koi and goldfish in the pond. dont laugh im serious. when the water in it gets low the liner dries around it leaving a crust of dried bacteria and alge. when i add water the fish encircle the pond feeding on the crust. ill be fishing the shallows after isaac goes through. think of all the snails, bugs, cray fish, dried alge ect.... that will be submerged. thats a smorgasboard for the fish. they will be feeding heavy near the banks, ide bet on it.

steve
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what your saying Jeremy , my main fishing bud has a koi pond with a couple mudcats in it from our left-over bait . when he feeds them it's interesting to watch how they hunt down the scent trail and there alot of good stuff there to learn from if you pay attention . They stay well hid but he was telling bout putting some cutbait above in the waterfall and with in a minute they was out at it but could not get to it . Just confirms to me why moving alot tends to work well cause if your in the right locale it dont take long for bites and if you waited along time chances are your scent trail pulled that fish from some distance . Im not a patient or lucky person so I say why not just go right where they live and catch'm !

jeremy jerm
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    I know what your saying Jeremy , my main fishing bud has a koi pond with a couple mudcats in it from our left-over bait . when he feeds them it's interesting to watch how they hunt down the scent trail and there alot of good stuff there to learn from if you pay attention . They stay well hid but he was telling bout putting some cutbait above in the waterfall and with in a minute they was out at it but could not get to it . Just confirms to me why moving alot tends to work well cause if your in the right locale it dont take long for bites and if you waited along time chances are your scent trail pulled that fish from some distance . Im not a patient or lucky person so I say why not just go right where they live and catch'm !

lol. funny you say that. im down to the small one now. at one time i had one 18' long x 12' wide 3 foot deep. had my share of channels in it. come home late and only a couple fish in the well. they would go in there for cleaning later. some spent the summer in there. one night we were at the neighbors drinking some cold ones around the fire. i set up an ultra light with stink bait and a bell. 5 min later i walked over there holding a 5 lb channel. "look at that i said fishing in the back yard" then walked back over and released it. ive learned alot about fish from having it. been about 8 years. had a few largemouth in it too. pretty intresting stuff to learn.

Roger
    Post Thanks / Like

I love fishing rising water more than any other condition. I sure hope we get plenty of weather mid-state, we sure need it. These way below normal pool conditions really suck.

A.J.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cats4uandme View Post
    well i learned about fish patterns from watching my koi and goldfish in the pond. dont laugh im serious. when the water in it gets low the liner dries around it leaving a crust of dried bacteria and alge. when i add water the fish encircle the pond feeding on the crust. ill be fishing the shallows after isaac goes through. think of all the snails, bugs, cray fish, dried alge ect.... that will be submerged. thats a smorgasboard for the fish. they will be feeding heavy near the banks, ide bet on it.
    Don't forget all those nightcrawlers that will meet there maker!

Josh
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy, thats an excellent point. I plan on hitting it hard this weekend as well. Hopefully not all the spots are taken!!! Rain or shine, I'll probably be out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast