Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Reels (what line) how to restring!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Reels (what line) how to restring!!

I have about 8 of these reels. Mostly the higher end 5000 and 6000 series reels. My question is: I want to restring about 4 of them with "Power Pro" 20lb braided line. I bought the 150 yard size. The diameter is equal to 6lb mono. Is it necessary to use a mono. filler behind this new braid or can I just put this 150 yards directly on the reels? Will these reels cast OK with just the 150 yds of 20lb braided line on them??
    I'm new to this site. It is great. I fish mainly for cats and carp in N.E. Ohio and do a little crappie fishing in the spring time. Thanks for all you help........

Andy

Post Thanks / Like

I got educated not long ago, as I was trying to save a buck, that's its best to put a mono backing on, then the braid. The reason I was given was the braid is so slick it won't grab the reel and spin on it. I have no facts to back this up, but it makes sense! First time me being a cheapskate worked in my favor!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

So it sounds like its more for the braid to have something to hold on to rather than a "spacing" factor!!
    Is that correct?

Is there something better than "mono" to use for backing??

Billy
    Post Thanks / Like

i use the power pro on my 2 garcia 6000,s..i backed them with mono for a spacer and it wont slip either..the smaller line you have wont go far to fill up that 6000 with out some backing..if it,s only half full you wont cast far..for that diameter line you have, i think you would have to at the least put 1/3 or maybe 1/2 spool of backing to fill the reel to full with the small power pro line..i have 65 lb on mine..i had to use a few wraps of mono for the 150 yd spool to fill to capacity

Nick
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use mono or electrical tape. Either will work fine. The braid will slip on the spool without a backing.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I called Garcia yesterday and ask them what they recommended for the backing and they told me
    basically the same ..... mono or tape. They also said it dosen't matter how full the spool is, the reel will cast the same 10% full or 100% full. So I guess we shouldn't refer to mono as a "filler"!! So after hearing this I don't see any need to use "mono" as a backer/filler!! A simple peice of electrical tape is much easier and faster and put as much or as little "braid" on as you like. In my case I'm gonna try 150 yards of 20lb Power Pro. It will only fill the reel up about half. Do you guys agree with this??

Jeremy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use power pro braid on all of my 7000's with no slipping. The 7000's have a spool stud, not sure about the 5's & 6's.

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carpcatman View Post
    I They also said it dosen't matter how full the spool is, the reel will cast the same 10% full or 100% full.
    It doesn't matter to the reel but it will matter to your thumb.

I top shot most every reel I use braid on. The reason is cost savings and less waste.
    I'll fill with mono and leave enough to get 150-200 yards of braid on it to finish it out.
    When was the last time you had 150 yards of line out on a reel?

Most of the braid people are putting on reels never sees the light of day.
    On more then one occasion I've had all my braid out there in the ocean and was pretty good down into the mono. No big deal. It works out in the end.

maxwell kravig
    Post Thanks / Like

A half full spool will affect your retrievel rate, slow it down.

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

i use power pro on my 6000's and i dont back them and i dont slip either. you would have to damn near spool it, in order to deal with the slip issue. im not saying this is correct but it works just fine for me. but i dont run the 20# i run 65# but if i were going to back it power pro comes with backing strips. or as others have stated tape works well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast