12 ft ouchita aluminum jon boat max hp?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 ft ouchita aluminum jon boat max hp?

I was given a 12 ft jon boat, and was wondering what max hp motor size I can use. I searched and found that some have as small as 4hp, some as large as 25hp. I have a 4hp evinrude and a 25hp johnson. Looks like I have to try them both. Weight capacity is between 400 to 500lb. Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of your smaller jon boats don't have a high HP rating. The ones I have been around had fairly shallow walls which in turn when loaded can make water come in over the sides. Have seen that happen. To me a 9.9 would be a plenty. I have a 12 ft. v bottom that has pretty deep sides and that is what it is rated for. I would think a 25 hp motor on one would be scary. Does it have a name on it? Or better yet a pic. someone might be able to give you some better info if we had a name or a pic. Mark

Preston Hobbs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have a 14/48 ouchita flat bottom,it's rated for a 20HP,but I run a 25 hoss Johnson.I'm lookin' for a 40 hoss jet for it though.

Mark
    Post Thanks / Like

Just realized it did have a name on it. Stupid me. Never heard of one is my excuse. still sounds like a lot of motor for a 12 ft boat.

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll sink it. lol

Put the 25 on and run it in the daylight. I run an 8 on my 12' lowe, unless your running on plane or running a couple hundred pounds up front its hard to see...especially at night!
    I'm guessing 25 is 3-5 times max hp. just saying

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have pics

I took pics and measured the boat. My little boat is 12ft long, 32 inches wide at bottom. It has a 15 inch transom, 46 inches wide at top of back. According to those measurements, max hp 5hp, max weight capacity, 390lbs. I have an old Johnson 4hp seahorse, that will be just perfect.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 115.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	187657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 116.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	187658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 117.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	187659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 118.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	187660

Dwayne
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not go any higher than 10hp on that boat :)

Brett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigCatHunter2012 View Post
    I took pics and measured the boat. My little boat is 12ft long, 32 inches wide at bottom. It has a 15 inch transom, 46 inches wide at top of back. According to those measurements, max hp 5hp, max weight capacity, 390lbs. I have an old Johnson 4hp seahorse, that will be just perfect.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 115.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	187657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 116.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	187658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 117.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	187659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 118.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	187660
    I have a 1232 similar to yours. Mine is 46 inch wide at the top, but my 15-16 inch transom is about 2-3 inches higher than the sides. It also has riveted caps at the back corner where yours look to be welded.

Mine has a stamped alloy diagonal brace on the transom, I can't see in your pics what you have, but probably something similar.

I normally run a 2003 2 stroke Nissan 3.5 hp (35lbs full of fuel) on it. The boat (100ish lbs) will plane with me(150lbs) and a 50 lb deep cycle, and a little bit of gear. It breaks all the rules as far has how much power you need to plane with. Normally they say 50lbs/HP for planing, and a flat bottom can get by with less hp, but 100lb/hp is never a number I have ever seen.

For lack of a more suitable boat, we have test ran our newly purchased 1957 Johnson QU-18 10 hp on it. When we mount it, we hook a cinch strap through the motor clamp bar, run it around the rear bench, and cinch it up tight while pulling the transom forward. It is tight enough to play a tune on when we are running. It runs (guess) 22-24 mph with my cousin(200lbs) and myself in it. The motor adds another 70lbs plus a can with a couple gallons in it is at least another 20 lbs. We have never ran it with just one person, because it is just too scary. We have however put a third person in the boat and it still ran at least 17-18 mph (guessing, number might be higher than actual speed due to pucker factor.)

I have done the different formulas and came up between 5 hp and 7.5 hp max. 10 hp scares the crap out of me. When you are watching the from the shore, when the boat slows down, it has so much added weight in the back, that you can't see the sides at the rear. The water is just rushing past the sides in a standing wave. Water doesn't come in the boat, but it could easily dump 10 gallon in if you cut the throttle in the middle of a turn and your wake washed over the back. And I am just talking about calm water. No mention of chop or waves from other boats, especially not a current of any sort.

We overload this boat nearly everytime we go out. We have had three people in the boat for over 500 lbs of people weight. It didn't scare me because we were close to shore and away from any sort of waves. The 10 horse motor scares the crap out of me. It is just too much for not enough boat.

I bet that little 4 horse will be perfect for it. Do you have the angled drive? I always though they were cool.

If I had the best motor for my 1232, it would probably be one of the later johnson-evinrude 6 hp. It would probably take my speed from about 13-14 mph empty, to 15-16 mph with some gear. But then I would have to carry a fuel tank, whereas now I carry a 1 gallon gas jug.

Good luck and enjoy!

Brett

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the 9.9 Johnson Seahorse

My dad says that the 9.9 would be better for this boat. He used to have the same setup years back. I will be testing her out Sunday after I put the new transom board in, [3/4 treated plywood]. Got the 9.9 for $200 with gas tank and it runs like a top. Gonna paint the boat with rustoleum specialty camouflage, army green. Will post pics before she hits the mighty mississipi.

ray
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a 14 ft with a 9.9 merc bigfoot on it /and its the perfect match up /not to slow /not to fast /just right for me