Recipe: Beef gravy from bouillon cubes

Default Recipe: Beef gravy from bouillon cubes

Man I just had a great lunch. Mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, fresh tomato slices, a freshly picked jalapeno pepper, and pickled beets. I tried this beef gravy recipe to pour over the mashed potatoes and was surprise to find out it's so good. Next time I'll let the roux go a little longer to darken it some.

Makes 1 pint

1 ounce oil or butter ( 3 tbsp) (I used Land O Lakes butter)
    1 ounce all purpose flour ( 3 tbsp)
    3 or 4 bouillon cubes
    1 pint water

In a 1 quart sauce pan over medium heat add oil/ butter and flour stir with wooden spoon until mixture comes of the side of the pan. If you want a darker gravy cook until mixture turns golden brown. You just made a roux. ( thickening agent) Add bouillon cubes to 1/2 quart of water about 3-4 cubes. Add liquid to roux in sauce pan cook and bring to boil for 5 minutes, or until desired consistency. Taste and add salt, pepper, or bouillon cubes as needed.

This tastes similar to Heinz Beef Gravy you can buy in jars, just as good anyway.

Debbie Russell
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Yup, that's one of my favorite tricks. Good eats!

"I only make movies to finance my fishing." Lee Marvin

I never have made gravy that way but I just might try it sometime. My wife will by the brown gravy mix in a package . Iím not a fan of it. I hardly ever eat it. The white gravy in a package, I like. Unless she cooks a roast or beef tips, she always useís gravy in a package.
    Me, I make my gravy from bacon grease or from left over grease after frying something up. It donít take much grease. Using flour , water and milk, salt and pepper. Comes out an off white. To me that is the best gravy next to the gravy from a roast. LOL

Dano, that's the same way I make white gravy, usually from sausage, bacon, or fried chicken grease.. Also white sauce is similar except I use butter. For cheese sauce, I just throw some shredded cheese in some white sauce, stir a bit, and it comes out well. It's good on broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc. I've seen vegetarians make white gravy out of corn oil, flour, and milk.

thanks for reciepe needed a good beef one

Angier, North C

Default Tomato Gravy

Mix Squishy ripe diced tomato's in the white gravy!
    My mom was a gravy Queen, she made gravy with all fried or oven foods. I have people compliment me on my gravy, i tell them it's a bred trait in a Hillbilly's genes, LOL.
    Doug S.