Zebco Hawg Seeker or 808 reel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zebco Hawg Seeker or 808 reel

Are either of these reels suitable for fighting cats? Most situations I'll be in will be with channels from eater to 10-15lb and the occasional flathead.

James .N

Post Thanks / Like

I know the hawgseeker can handel what your after all day long.....not the smoothest reel out there but they work...bought my son the rod reel combo and it will haul in large cats and striper

Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

The 808 magnum is a good reel for channels. I have 3 of them. Never had a problem with them. Had one Hawg Seeker. If thats the one with the bite alert then I wouldn't waste your money. Cool concept but they really are junk. They will last a little while, but first, the bite alert goes to chit and then the plastic cover starts to fall apart. Mine lasted for maybe 6 fishing trips. Then I threw it away. If you get an 808, be sure it's the magnum version. They have a metal front cover. I hope this helps.

James .N

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thats to bad Randy , My son had his probaly 3_4 years now i changed the battery twice and the reel never failed him yet . Yes its the one with the bite alert too lol He must of got one that was made on a monday when the workers were feeling good

jeff washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

i got a hawg seeker.seems smooth and strong since last fall

Robert
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a hawg seeker with the bait alert and it hauled in a 20 lb blue i was runnin 15 lb mono ..with a 4 ft 25lb leader ....it has let me down i have had it 2 years and the original rod(which right after i bought it i wrapped it ) and i throw 4 ounce sinkers with 5/0 up to 10/0 circle hooks on it and it is a good reel not the smoothest but as long as it gets the job done thats all that matters to me ....drag is perfect on mine...and yes i tore out the bait alert guts ...no need for that...sending the sound waves down the line :)

Randy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Piss. Don't that just figure. If there is a lemon on the shelf, I'm the guy that gets stuck with it. I won't buy another one but, I sure do like those 808 magnums.

Ramon
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I had an 808 Boss Hawg for years just gave it to my little bro last year-reeled in plenty of cats and bass with it-biggest cat caught on it was a 20LB Channel when one of my buddies went fishing with me from the bank in Va. I also have a Hawg Seeker that I use for channels on a lake however I have the spinning version-its loaded with 40LB PP and casts like a dream and has handled anything I've tossed at it-decent reels in my book-50LB Cats? not on the 808 but I dont think I would have a problem with the hawg seeker

JT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may be picking a couple up. Wally world has an 808 magnum combo for $30

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 808.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast