Quantcast
Best rod for Okuma Avenger

In Memory of MRR

Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best rod for Okuma Avenger

I am looking for a quality rod for an Okuma baitfeeder reel, at first I decided on a Ugly Stik Tiger but the longest they offer is 7' (why is that?) and since I fish from the shore I was looking for something a little longer. I was at the Wal-Mart the other day and saw an 8'6" Ugly Stik Intercoastal but it was only rated at 8-20 lb test so I figured it was not going to be able to hande the weight I was looking to throw.

I searched at Cabelas and found Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder 65 Reel/Cabela's Whuppin' Stick® Salt Surf Rod Spinning Combo for $120, has anyone tried that rod?

Nick
    Post Thanks / Like

i just bought 2 of the 9' MH casting whuppin sticks and they are great for the price, so far ive only landed a 17lb and a 15lb flat on them but they fight great, not too powerful so it makes it fun. handles 4ozs plus bait.

Mark
    Post Thanks / Like

thats not a bad combo to get if you haven't bought the reel yet. if you already have the reel and are looking for a rod we'll need a few more details before we can reccommend a matching rod. how much do you want to spend? what length are you looking for? how much wieght do you want to use? ect.

Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkedwards View Post
    thats not a bad combo to get if you haven't bought the reel yet. if you already have the reel and are looking for a rod we'll need a few more details before we can reccommend a matching rod. how much do you want to spend? what length are you looking for? how much wieght do you want to use? ect.

I have not bought the reel yet, I am not really sure if I want the 65 (it is huge) or the 50 (less huge). I am unsure on length I was leaning towards 8' but am open to suggestions. As far as weight I was thinking (rough guesstimate) about 4 oz of lead plus whatever the bait weighs.

Derek
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I use the 65 and to me any ways it seems like the perfect size. Right now I have it on an 8ft Shakespeare Wildcat rod, and it is a good match. I've tossed 4+ oz lead +bait with it, and it has handled some pretty decent fish. You can get that rod for ~20-30 bucks. I am thinking of upgrading it though once TWC re-releases their spinning rod.

Mark
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want a jack of all trades master of none combo get the 50 series and pair it up with a shakespere bws-1102 its an 8ft 2pc rod thats rated for 1-6oz but i have hung 12oz and dropped that boat fishing and i have thrown 12oz bankfishing too but i would go over 8 too often. load that reel with 30lb braid and you're good to go,