Fuel filter water separator question

Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0
    TOKEN SEMI-LIBERAL
    Russell
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Default Fuel filter water separator question

I just installed a 16 gal. fuel tank on my pontoon boat. Always before I used 2 6 gallon Attwood portable tanks and there was usually a little crud left in the bottom. I always dumped it out and started clean. With this big tank I won't be able to do that.

The 50hp Merc uses 50/1 fuel mixture and in Missouri the only kind of gasoline I can get is 10% ethanol. I know that ethanol absorbs water, and I always use Sta-bil, and 90 octane gas.

I want to add one of those spin-on fuel filters (looks like an oil filter) and this is where my question comes up. Some of them say "Fuel filter" some say "Fuel water separator". I want to do both so do I need 2 of them or is there one that does both?

Only when the last tree has died, when the last river is poisioned, and the last fish caught, will we realize we can't eat money.

I just put a moeller clear site on my boat. It has the spin on filter the cartridge is also threaded on bottom for a clear fuel bowl with drain. About the same as a racor 320. I will say it looks like it belongs on a D9 or something seems like over kill io me.

Willard King
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I use the fuel water seaperator from wal-mart some will say aww thats not good enough but I have had it a long time and it stil works good. I change the filter once a year and more if nesessary.

TOKEN SEMI-LIBERAL
    Russell
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Default Thanks Willard

Appreciate it.
    Only when the last tree has died, when the last river is poisioned, and the last fish caught, will we realize we can't eat money.

TOKEN SEMI-LIBERAL
    Russell
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Default I'm happy

1 Attwood "fuel/water separator complete (bracket - filter - plugs) $27.95. 1 in-line fuel filter $2.95. Took about half an hour to install.

Thanks again Willard.