sanganois conservation area?

harvey

Post Thanks / Like

Default sanganois conservation area?

just wondering if anyone else fishes this area?, lots of swamps marshy ive just recently, past couple years started hitting it ,found a spot for nice bullhead over a lb, med size crappie but no big cats yet, ive hooked/landed 5 bowfin over 5-6 lbs and one maybe 10lb, everytime thinking i had a nice channel, big dissapointment, mostly looking for eaters

harvey

Post Thanks / Like

wow, nobody? all that water surely there are channel cats, ive noticed 55 gal drums in several of the ditches ive hiked along, sometimes you can see them through the water, i figured they were put in by noodlers as ive seen this in the sangamon and sugar creek as well , ive caught lots of small white bass, small largmouth, small bluegill

Tony
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sanganois has really fallen off as a fishing area lately in my opinion. It is managed mostly for waterfowl, the water levels are kept fairly low during the summer so that they can plant feed. Twenty years ago, you could catch 10 to 15 pound channel fairly regularly. Lately, you will only find them when the water has been up and the Sangamon and/or Illinois have flooded the area. That being said, if you can catch them at the right time(during the fall when they are pumping to fill the duck holes is good), or can locate a break in the levee you can get into some really good days. With the way the water has been in central Illinois this year and last, it is a little iffy at the moment. I caught a 14lb carp on shrimp and about a dozen bowfin on cut shad last weekend but no cats. A friend had been out during the week and caught a half-dozen or so channel(up to 5lbs) on shad. Unfortunately, he wouldn't tell me where...

Two weeks ago, the channel were hitting everything on the Sangamon. We caught about 20 between 2 and 8 pounds in just a few hours.

harvey

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the feedback, all i caught on shad were the bowfin, ive never fished the big open bodies of water like past the levee or the big parking/boat ramp area past the handicap hunting pond was kinda wondering about them

Tony
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I was back down there Saturday, and still no luck. Caught a few bluegill and crappie, but not a single channel or bullhead. I did land a nice bowfin(about 8 pounds) and he went home with me. Fried him up that night. I do love eating those if they're cleaned right in the spring...