Best way to unhook catfish from trotline??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave Mundy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to unhook catfish from trotline??

Is there some kind of de-hooker that works well for taking a hook out of a catfish's mouth?
    I'm thinking something with a notch that can slip over the hook and be pushed down and into the fish's mouth. It would probably work best if if you could slide it to just below the barb, hold the hook eye against the shaft and push down.
    I am using Eagle Claw Kahle hooks in 7/0 to 10/0 and do not want to change hook style at this time. They seem to hook up well, but can be a pain to get out. We have been using a wide jaw pliers. Sometimes the hooks bend on us while removing them.
    What works best for you guys?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

larger pair of needle nose work for me. As for the bending, yup it happens time to time ,just deal with it .

Catfish Slayer
    Floyd Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

10" needle nose pliers works best for me when have to use them . I use Circle hooks so rarely need anything to remove the hook .

Nathan
    Post Thanks / Like

At walmart they sell a dehooking tool i do not know if it works or not but it is worth a shot. I just use needle nose pliers.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Default dehooker

dont remember where i saw this dehooker, on youtube I know cause the one that was using it was showing it in use, it was made from the large wire handle of a plastic 5-gal bucket, it was bent to a different shape and when he would boat the fish from the trotline he used this wire and never touched the fish or the hook with his hands, very slick.and free.

Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way

This is what i do. I have a J hook about 10'' long made from a coat hanger or welding rod what ever you have thats handy. The first thing that i do is to cut off the tips of that eater chanel cats fins keeps them from sticking together in the ice chest.Next set your fish over in a 5 gal. bucket then hold your main line with one hand and run the J hook down the drop until the J hook goes into the bend of the hook give the J hook a jerk the cat falls into the bucket with fins cut off. When you are done take the bucket of dehorned catfish put them in what ever you store them in . good luck fishing!

josh
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook extractor

Quote Originally Posted by R. D. Hilton View Post
    This is what i do. I have a J hook about 10'' long made from a coat hanger or welding rod what ever you have thats handy. The first thing that i do is to cut off the tips of that eater chanel cats fins keeps them from sticking together in the ice chest.Next set your fish over in a 5 gal. bucket then hold your main line with one hand and run the J hook down the drop until the J hook goes into the bend of the hook give the J hook a jerk the cat falls into the bucket with fins cut off. When you are done take the bucket of dehorned catfish put them in what ever you store them in . good luck fishing!
    Ialso use this method. Never touch the fish. Works slick and you have a lot less bent hooks than needlenose pliers. I have found 1/8" welding rods to work the best

David
    Post Thanks / Like

Needle nose pliers have always worked well for me.

N. W. Brown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use 9" klien linemans pliers. Linesman pliers are made to grip wire and will
    grip hooks great. The hooks do not roll around in the pliers like they do with
    needlenose pliers. They are not as long as needlenose so you can't reach down
    in the fishes mouth to remove the hook. If its to deep in its mouth I just cut the
    line.
    I grip the hook as close to the fish as possible and turn the hook where it is straight
    with the bend and then pick the fish up with the pliers and give a quick downward
    motion with a stop and usually the weight of the fish will remove the hook with
    very little effort.
    On a fish that I am going to keep I also pick it up by the dorsil fin with the linemans
    pliers instead trying to pick it up with my hands.

howard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I haven't ran a trot line since I was a kid with my dad, but I remember he had a long set of hook removers kind of like these and he could get them off the hook in a few seconds..These look to be much more cheaply made than his was and his were red.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hook remover.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	184998  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast