Quantcast
1/4" Aluminum Sheets - Page 2

In Memory of MRR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Floyd Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopgrandma View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why you think you need 1/4" for the floor. My floor in my jonboat is made of old street signs. It flexes a little between the ribs, but in several years has yet to break (and i weigh 250 on a good day). I would think 1/8" would be more than enough.
    I am 6' 5" and 345 pounds

Was thinking 1/4 but may hold off for a better idea .

Nathan
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to get some plywood and treat it myself for the little projects on my boat.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catfisherman369 View Post
    I am 6' 5" and 345 pounds

Was thinking 1/4 but may hold off for a better idea .
    I've had someone that weighs more than you in my boat and the floor still doesn't have any permanent creases or bends in it from him.

John
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the business of working with metal and personally I wonder if 1/4 might be over kill, and hot in the sun if left uncovered. I have wondered about sheets of ABS plastic for this purpose But I think that stuffs pricey also and I really don't know much about it.

Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

4x8 sheets of diamond plate for $99?? Where this place at? Its almost $400 a sheet here!

jason hensley
    Post Thanks / Like

My uncle weighs a little over 320, and we fish out of my boat that has aluminum road closed signs in it for the floor. I bought them at my local scrap yard.

John Russell
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

!/8" should be plenty, that's .125" and to add support between the ribs just throw down some 1 1/2" foam.

My main fishing buddy tops out over 350 and he was surprised how rigid the floor and the decks are in my boat. I have 2" ribs (old MonArk) so I have 2" foam. If you rivet it down with large head rivets it'll stiffen the entire boat up. Mine rides a lot better in rough water (or barge wakes) and is a lot quieter .... Instead of Bang Bang Bang it's more of a subdued Thud Thud Thud

I'll never go back to wood in an aluminum boat although it's fine if you are on a tight budget. Aluminum is a lot more expensive and takes a bit more skill to work than wood ... But it never rots so I figure I get it all back in longevity and lower maintenance.

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

THe perforated floors are really nice but are pricey.

You can get 4x8 sheets of .065 for about 100 bucks each from http://sprayfoamsys.com/store/alumin...x96-sheet.html

Floyd Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Skipping the 1/4" and going thinner , but for sure want to get away from the plywood . After checking the place that my bro in law told me 1/4" was 99.00 a sheet , I found he was a bit off on price but still under 400.00 a sheet . Here is the place .

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/2934952613.html

steve
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah 1/8" is plenty , I took out the middle bench of my 16' jon and put a pc 7' 8''x 4' and it is fine . just rivited down no foam did put a pt 2x4 under where the bench was cuz the ribs were spaced farther there . were the floor meets the side i put a pc of that mesh ridge vent for architectural shingles , it lets water thru but not your tackle . As far as price goes I lucked out a friend of a friend works at a scrap yard and he hooked me up with a brand new 4x8 sheet for employee scrap rate it was like $40 . Its amazing how much waste their is in this country but he said people scrap brand new stuff all the time , so I would start looking at scrap yards and the road signs work very well also me and my friends have gone that route too .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast