1/4" Aluminum Sheets - Page 2

Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopgrandma View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why you think you need 1/4" for the floor. My floor in my jonboat is made of old street signs. It flexes a little between the ribs, but in several years has yet to break (and i weigh 250 on a good day). I would think 1/8" would be more than enough.
    I am 6' 5" and 345 pounds

Was thinking 1/4 but may hold off for a better idea .

Nathan

I was going to get some plywood and treat it myself for the little projects on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by catfisherman369 View Post
    I am 6' 5" and 345 pounds

Was thinking 1/4 but may hold off for a better idea .
    I've had someone that weighs more than you in my boat and the floor still doesn't have any permanent creases or bends in it from him.

John

I'm in the business of working with metal and personally I wonder if 1/4 might be over kill, and hot in the sun if left uncovered. I have wondered about sheets of ABS plastic for this purpose But I think that stuffs pricey also and I really don't know much about it.
    In memory of my old dog Jack.

Rob Shanks

4x8 sheets of diamond plate for $99?? Where this place at? Its almost $400 a sheet here!

jason hensley

My uncle weighs a little over 320, and we fish out of my boat that has aluminum road closed signs in it for the floor. I bought them at my local scrap yard.

!/8" should be plenty, that's .125" and to add support between the ribs just throw down some 1 1/2" foam.

My main fishing buddy tops out over 350 and he was surprised how rigid the floor and the decks are in my boat. I have 2" ribs (old MonArk) so I have 2" foam. If you rivet it down with large head rivets it'll stiffen the entire boat up. Mine rides a lot better in rough water (or barge wakes) and is a lot quieter .... Instead of Bang Bang Bang it's more of a subdued Thud Thud Thud

I'll never go back to wood in an aluminum boat although it's fine if you are on a tight budget. Aluminum is a lot more expensive and takes a bit more skill to work than wood ... But it never rots so I figure I get it all back in longevity and lower maintenance.

Ed

THe perforated floors are really nice but are pricey.

You can get 4x8 sheets of .065 for about 100 bucks each from http://sprayfoamsys.com/store/alumin...x96-sheet.html

Skipping the 1/4" and going thinner , but for sure want to get away from the plywood . After checking the place that my bro in law told me 1/4" was 99.00 a sheet , I found he was a bit off on price but still under 400.00 a sheet . Here is the place .

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/2934952613.html

Yeah 1/8" is plenty , I took out the middle bench of my 16' jon and put a pc 7' 8''x 4' and it is fine . just rivited down no foam did put a pt 2x4 under where the bench was cuz the ribs were spaced farther there . were the floor meets the side i put a pc of that mesh ridge vent for architectural shingles , it lets water thru but not your tackle . As far as price goes I lucked out a friend of a friend works at a scrap yard and he hooked me up with a brand new 4x8 sheet for employee scrap rate it was like $40 . Its amazing how much waste their is in this country but he said people scrap brand new stuff all the time , so I would start looking at scrap yards and the road signs work very well also me and my friends have gone that route too .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast