trotlines?

Thread: trotlines?

aaron

Post Thanks / Like

Default trotlines?

iv been setting trotlines in the mo river near jefferson city mo for awhile. been having alright luck but was wondering how everyone else sets there trotlines? what kinda weights and where on the trotline do you put them? best places to set the trotline? any floats on the line? ive been using chicken gizards and hearts with garlic on them and also used gold fish. im goin to make a perch trap and try that out. where can i catch bull heads at for bait? info would greatly be appreciated. im just looking to catch some monster cats. thanks everyone. Aaron

John Ritter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't run lines in years but we used to wear them out on trot lines using crappie shiners. We would buy the shiners by the pound from the wholesaler for $20-25 per pound. Probably double that price now. We would use window weights spaced about 25 feet apart and run the main line all the way across the channel from bank to bank. In the river we fish this was approximately 200 feet. Hooks spaced every 2 ft. Keep in mind that usually any line over 50 hooks requires a commercial liscense. Use parachute cord for your main line and a smaller diameter for your drops. Swivels on the drops will keep your fish from twisting off. Hope this helps. When the bite is good this will wear you and the fish out!

aaron

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running the lines off dykes with a cinderblock on the other end. Window weight halfway down the line. Hooks are 4ft spaced. Just wondering if there's a better way in running trotlines.

aaron

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running the lines off dykes with a cinderblock on the other end. Window weight halfway down the line. Hooks are 4ft spaced. Just wondering if there's a better way in running trotlines.

John Ritter
    Post Thanks / Like

That cinder block will roll up and down the river if you have current. We had a line like this that we called rolly-polly because it would move up and down the river. Just make sure you have enough weight to keep in on the bottom.

aaron

Post Thanks / Like

What else could I use as a weight at the end of my line?

KEITH "BY GOD" LEWIS
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron,
    there are several things you could use for weights. I use a variety of things like window weights, concrete filled large soup cans with an eye bolt-nut-and washer, and even found a few actual barbell weights, those red bricks with the holes in them broke in 2 pieces,anything kinda heavy but nothing over 15 lbs tho. If I can tie both ends od my trotline off I tend to use little bricks or small window weights in the middle, but if I cant then I use whatever is heavy to tie off to at the end. as for bait, I use shrimp, chicken gizzard and cut shad during the spring and summer. Winter I only use whole blood I purchase from a slaughter house, bout a gallon or 2. I pour it into cake pans and chill in fridge for 2 days, then cut into small cubes 1 inchX 1 inch or so place in oven on bottom rack and BRoil just enuff to put a crust on top. and you r ready to go fishing. the crust helps it stay on the hook. bait out ahead of time with soured wheat, maze, or corn and get ready to fill your freezer. get a good electric filet knife, you'll need it.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default Trotlining the MID MO

Ya got the right idea but wrong baits for the MO river. About the best general bait is fresh cut bighead carp in 1 1/2 inch cubes skin on. For slower water reg blue gills and creek minners work well. Fresh shad is hard to beat in fast or calm water just hook thrue the eyes its easy to get around any trib or creek mouth or in behind trail dikes. Dont over look worms right now till July easy to get @ night with a flashlight at any city park or well mowed lawn.

As far as lines set your hooks 8 ft apart I like mine about 12 ft. For weights I use about 25 ft of extra rope tied to the trot line end and a cinder block or 2 rail road flats tied together inline 2 ft apart. I put a 3 hole brick or 10lb window weight in the center with 2 ft of line and near the bank I put same about 20 ft out on my line.
    My average line is about 60 to 100 yards long and has 15 hooks.

Locations any deep hole below the dikes in the down river end of a dike set with a channel change work well tie off to somthing on the bank thats stout and runn your line out in the milder current and drop and bait. Stay off the wing dike tips its to fast and a pain to set em there. Also setting a line just down stream of any creek or ditch in the first good hole can produce well right now. It helps the get the line out strait to the channel with the current as possible when you set it. Keep it sunk dont mess with floats ect. Make shure to tie it high enough on the bank to deal with a good 4 to 5 ft rise if need be.
    You can also atttach a drag up line at the start of it with a pop bottle so all you have to do is pull up to it and drag it up to runn your line. Have a bud who can weld make you a small 3 tine 4 inch grapple hook out of 3/8 steel rod so you can drag a line up if it goes under due to the river comming way up high. Or if you like to set full under water due to trot lines being stolen. To set under water I do the same as above but just use a extra 20 ft of 3/8 rope on the front of my line and 2 cinder blocks to anchor it.

If you want to know more just PM me about it. I have been trotlining the MO river for a few years in the Gascoande area. I can assist you in setting for blues or flatheads via season and water levels. What out Outlined was a basic set up for spring-early summer. Late summer is a whole new ball game.