mono backing with braided line

keith
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mono backing with braided line

I've seen alot of posts on here to about using backing for braided lines. Is this necessary. If so what kind of knot should I use.

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keith.lee View Post
    I've seen alot of posts on here to about using backing for braided lines. Is this necessary. If so what kind of knot should I use.
    An Albright Special.
    What I do most of the time is called topshotting.
    I'll put enough mono on the reel to I have room for 150- 200 yards of braid.
    It saves on braid and if you fill a spool with braid, most of it will never see the light of day.

It doesn't matter if all my braid is off the reel and I'm into the mono. Tied correctly, the two lines become one.

Ben
    Post Thanks / Like

First time I ever spooled up my round baitcaster with braid I didn't use backing. On my first outing with it I kept having the braid free spin on the spool, then it would catch, then free spin, so on and so forth. This is very aggravating while fighting a fish. That same day right as I was about to leave I got the hardest bite I've ever had. I quickly realized this was the biggest fish I've ever hooked into. Meanwhile my braid kept free spooling and catching as it had done all day. Then the unthinkable happened, the braid caught, dug into itself, drag didn't let any line out, my pole doubled over completely, then snapped back up almost hitting me in the face. My leader had broken, 40 lb mono. There is no worse feeling than losing a fish you know is your personal best due to one mistake you made when spooling your reel with braid. I immediately went home, stripped all the braid off, put backing on and respooled it. I haven't had a problem since.
    What I do is use twelve pound mono as backing, since I have so much from bass fishing. I spool on just enough to cover the spool in 1-2 layers end to end, then use an Albright knot to tie on the braid and spool my reel completely. I'm sure others do things differently, but this is what works for me. Good luck.

Ben
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I think I might do this next time I spool up a reel. Sounds much better than putting 300 yds of braid on.

Neal
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with just wrapping some electrical tape on spool. I dont use mono backing as I dont feel you can trust tieing 2 lines together. Just my .02

Pork Chop
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    An Albright Special.
    What I do most of the time is called topshotting.
    I'll put enough mono on the reel to I have room for 150- 200 yards of braid.
    It saves on braid and if you fill a spool with braid, most of it will never see the light of day.

It doesn't matter if all my braid is off the reel and I'm into the mono. Tied correctly, the two lines become one.
    X2