Making your own molds? Anyone?

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making your own molds? Anyone?

Has anyone ever made their own sinker molds? If so did what did you use? Did they work well? Any ideas?

I'm looking to make some no roll sinkers. I went to go buy a Do-It Mold & they don't have what i want without buying two molds. I specifically want 2oz. & 4oz. ounce weights and thats all i need. Also i figured if i could make a mold to make more than one of the same size at a time i could speed the process up a tad. I've got 150+ pounds of lead i wanna try a spend a day with & do as much as i can, then be done with it for a while. I've got some ideas & seen a few different things on what might work for me. I just wanted to see if any of you guys have ever messed around with making your own molds?

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose i should have searched around in here a little more. I've found several nice & fairly easy ideas! One using sheetrock that looks pretty slick any idea how many pours sheetrock would hold up for? Still like to hear any other ideas if anyone got one.

johnnie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

when ever i see a new mold that i might like to try i go on ebay and look.

tim
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Jerry's sinker making has a lot of ideas. You can get a blank mold from Do-it, and have what you want made. A foundry might be able to make a mold for ya that will make multiple sinkers.

Drywall mud can be used to make a mold, hot mud, or stucco patch. Possibly they could be made outa sand and cement. I've seen suggestions on using epoxy.

I have tried to make some 16-20 oz sinker molds in drywall hot mud, just not no rolls. Keep in mind the mold will be fragile, and let it dry completely prior to filling with hot lead. Not sure how long it will last, but shoud be easily repaired with drywall mud.

George
    Post Thanks / Like

I just drill some holes in a pine 2X4 and pour the lead strate in the hole's then split the 2X4 in half and get them out . You can stick a peice of wire or what ever in the drilled hold when you pour the lead if you like . I just drill hole's through mine . Kind of like a egg weight .

jeremy jerm
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Hemus Bocephus View Post
    I suppose i should have searched around in here a little more. I've found several nice & fairly easy ideas! One using sheetrock that looks pretty slick any idea how many pours sheetrock would hold up for? Still like to hear any other ideas if anyone got one.

take a large spoon like a stainless soup spoon. fill it with 2-4 ozes of lead. drop out in a few seconds after it hardens. drill a hole in one end after it cools.

Michael Craig
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by cats4uandme View Post
    take a large spoon like a stainless soup spoon. fill it with 2-4 ozes of lead. drop out in a few seconds after it hardens. drill a hole in one end after it cools.
    You beat me to it. I agree. Works great. I used this method until I was able to purchase Do It Molds.
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE CAST--MY DAY WILL COME

Jimmy Thompson
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Buy the mold you need/want, cast a bucket or 2 of that size sinker, sell it and buy another.

do-itmold.com check here for what you want then search for it cheaper.

Ray Adkins
    Post Thanks / Like

Jimmys got the right idea we wewre slow at work this last spring and somebody had to be there . I had the aluminum and a small milling machine .in the hr's spent to just getting a small mold cut out and usable. ive seen some no rolls made in a sheet rock mold looks like it works pretty slick.

Jimmy Thompson
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

What size sinkers and style are you wanting to cast?