ANISE? VANILLA EXTRACT? COD LIVER OIL?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pork Chop
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default ANISE? VANILLA EXTRACT? COD LIVER OIL?

Anybody ever use Anise, Vanilla extract or Cod Liver oil to treat cut bait, liver, shrimp and etc? I have heard that a lot of old timers used Anise and it was their secret weapon. Does anyone know how effective it really is or is just a myth?

RebelMan
    monster catfish

Quote Originally Posted by BUDMEISER01 View Post
    Anybody ever use Anise, Vanilla extract or Cod Liver oil to treat cut bait, liver, shrimp and etc? I have heard that a lot of old timers used Anise and it was their secret weapon. Does anyone know how effective it really is or is just a myth?
    Back in the day I used vanilla extract with shimp. Put them out in the sun for a day (summer heat) and used them with good results for channel cats

Michael Craig
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have used all of the above with little results, but Garlic or Chicken Blood works better.
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE CAST--MY DAY WILL COME

Josh
    Post Thanks / Like

i use garlic extract sometimes but usually normal shrimp works fine

Phil
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when i use shrimp i will soak them for a few days in Anise or the Vanilla extract and it works pretty darn good, just depends on where i am fishing. Problem is, the stuff is expensive!

Leo
    Post Thanks / Like

Anise is the flavoring used for black jelly beans and Ouzo. The Star Anise is relatively inexpensive, generally found in herb stores where bulk herbs are sold, and approximately a 1 oz bag will cost you about $5. Being it is also good for digestion (the Romans used to make Anise cakes to eat when they would have a feast in order to control their indigestion), and that it tastses pretty good, if you make up a batch of sweet tea from it and the fish don't bite as well as you'd figure, you can always drink the tea and have better digestion without flatulence.

I don't know about flavoring shrimp or cut bait with it for catfish, but I do know that some soft plastic lures such as worms and lizards, are scented with Anise for bass fishing and it is supposed to help attract fish. It is also used widely in carp fishing.

I haven't tried it, since I do ok with catfish by just using regular canadian night crawlers, regular uncooked shrimp, and regular minnows and breams.

Oh, an extra little thing... if you have a dog, Anise tea is to many dogs what catnip is to many cats.

tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default BIG KAT KING

Quote Originally Posted by BUDMEISER01 View Post
    I USE ANISE ON CHICKEN BREST CUT UP AND SOAKED IN RED COOL=AID WORKS GREAT

Randall
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Luck!

I have never had any luck with any of thses mentioned. Most luck I have ever had awas a nibble and then caput! Nothing!

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like you, I have read about using Cod Liver......and I looked for it everywhere to try...still have not found any around Raleigh...

Pork Chop
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Dobroplayer View Post
    Like you, I have read about using Cod Liver......and I looked for it everywhere to try...still have not found any around Raleigh...
    It's like try to find hen's teeth!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast