hoop nets - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hoop nets

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I do agree that I don't understand, and I don't know your area of the country well enough to make any assumptions, was just stating what I know about where I live, we have no commercial fishing at all here, and the lakes are great for fishing, in fact you can get in serious trouble for trying to sell any type of wild game. I am not against your wanting to start up a side business or making a little extra cash, heck I am all for beating the government at their game. I just spend more time looking toward the future instead of living in the past I guess. If you feel it is something you want to do, by all means it s a free country and if legal where you are from fine. I'm just trying to educate, not hate. I have been in that part of the world several times, and I know the area you speak of slightly, and no offense or anything but things are done there like it is 50 years ago, you all havn't really all caught up with the rest of the world, and that ain't all a bad thing.

mike
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default hoop net

Toddrod it's good you took the time to explain yourself commercial catting is a sore spot for folks in some states.In my state commercial catters are allowed to net as many cats as they want.Even though the have this freedom of overharvest many of them still poach with unmarked lines and hoop nets with no permits ,pure greed.This overharvest is then sold mostly to pay lakes ,these fish are then caught and released until they die an untimely death. We try not to be too judgemental on the USCA ,but like isaid its a sore spot.

Roger
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't all share the same agenda out there. Some seek trophies and records. Some are catching food. Some fish for a living. Some just like to fish(me). Unfortunately, some people not only know what is best for them, they also know what is best for you and me also. Follow the laws of your state, and the regs of the specific waters you intend to fish, and if anyone has a problem with that, then they have a problem, not you.

I release most all the fish I catch, but I do have several hoop nets, hundreds of bank poles, probably a hundred jugs, several trot lines, and even 2 old 10' dip nets we used to drop off the old iron bridges. I've said this before, if my family were hungry, my gear would be in the water. I would have no shame, and no remorse.

Todd, I have never run nets in a lake, but I ran plenty in the rivers years ago. The knowledge is old, the memory weak, but I'd answer any specific questions the best I could. Post 'em here or send me a pm. Good luck.

Ray
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd, talk to Sam or one of the other ole codgers. Sam ran hoop nets in Des Almons for years, heck he may still have ntes sunk waiting for baiting. Nets, cans, wood traps heck even ole tires all work.

Ray
    Post Thanks / Like

The person dissin' ya in an earlier post needs to read his own foot note bout not understandin'. If ya need help this spring holler.

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRay View Post
    The person dissin' ya in an earlier post needs to read his own foot note bout not understandin'. If ya need help this spring holler.
    okay there captainray, if you actually read my posts you would realize what I was trying to say. instead of just thinking I am dissing someone, I havn't dissed anyone. Did you not see where I said it was nothing personal and heck I even wished him luck with whatever he decided to do. I felt the need to share my opinion of commercial catfishing. If you feel the need to share yours by all means please share. No need to get personal, tell us what commercial catfishing does to help things. where I am from they stopped commercial catfishing quite a while ago, it was the best thing that ever happened for the fisherys, the catfish have returned, where once they were decimated by commercial overfishing.

KEITH "BY GOD" LEWIS
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those that say as long as you follow the regs of your state then by all means go for it. I havent followed up on the rules here in TX on the subject, but personally if I could do a little commercial fishing for cats, I would. my family absolutely loves fresh fish from any local lake I can catch'em. I dont have a problem if the man wants to put some food in his freezer, sell some and write his boat off on his taxes....so long as he doin it legally. I personally keep all catfish over 16 inches, and since I dont catch very many trophies, i keep those to. however if I caught ALOT more trophies, I would be more apt to C.P.R. them. Just my $.02.

Scott
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    I am thinking about getting my commercial license and start catfishing commercially in my home lake in Louisiana with hoop nets. Does anyone here use hoop nets for this purpose? The main reason I want to do this is to be able to write my boat off from my taxes and make a little play money on the side.
    If its legal go for it bro...I have never used them as its a jail deal up our way I think. You posted in the correct forum but as you are not doing what the majority wants done you are going to be hit in the head for asking such a question :tongue:.

dj

Post Thanks / Like

Default envite em to the catfish festival lmao

And then talk cpr only. Des allmands home of the catfish festival. There's a guy in boutte that sells slat traps we had better luck with those in lakes. The old ways ar3 being outlawed little by little. I wonder will my grand kids be able to even catch and release the kings fish. Lol do it have fun and teach a kid. And screw the ones who don't like it. That's my two cents worth.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

I guess since this is my first post I might as well jump in on a sensitive topic. I have recently started commercial fishing in the Mississippi river in Mississippi. It's not because I want to inconvenience any sport fishermen, I want to pay my bills, put food on the table and a roof over the heads of my family. I don't know any commercial fishermen in the south that have gotten wealthy selling catfish, but most are able to provide the essentials.

After getting laid off from work because of the Horizon oil spill I guess I could have applied for food stamps and welfare, but instead I chose to earn my living. This was the best option I had. I will not appoligize to anyone for my choice unless it is my family if I am not able to provide for them. So far I have worked very hard and often spend more in a day of fishing than I make. I need all the help and good advice I can get from those of you that are willing.

I have never fished during the winter, but have no choice now. I have fished with trotlines in the past with a lot of success, but never commercially, or with commercial gear. I have been able to get 5 hoop nets and 4 slat traps to go along with some trotlines. The trotlines have paid off to some degree, but not what I am used to in the springtime. The hoop nets are getting better as I move them around and am finally finding some fair spots. The slat traps...well, I might as well use them for fire wood at this point. I have caught a total of 2 fish in them so far.

Anyone that can give me some detailed help and advice would be very much appreciated. Rigging, tactics, locations, baits, what water depth at what water temperatuer, or anything else that would work would be great. Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast