hoop nets

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hoop nets

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Default hoop nets

I am thinking about getting my commercial license and start catfishing commercially in my home lake in Louisiana with hoop nets. Does anyone here use hoop nets for this purpose? The main reason I want to do this is to be able to write my boat off from my taxes and make a little play money on the side.

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

bro I sincerly hope you the best....., but this might be the wrong place to talk commercial fishing and hoop nets.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Since there is thriving commercial and sportfishing of catfishing in this lake (Lake Des Allemands, LA) and this board is all about catfishing, I figured it would be a good place to this questions. If it is not, then I have no problem with the mods removing this post.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

FRANK CRADDOCK
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd it is just a lot of people think commercial fishing destroys the fishery. I for one do not believe it. Commercial fishing is about as old as prostitution. Some folks don't think You should keep a fish for any reason. I just stopped telling what I do with my fish. It's my business anyway. My feelings are you need to obey all local laws. The folks who injure the fishery are the ones who do it illegal. We pay good money for those folks who make our laws and I think we can trust them to protect our fisheries.

joe
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Todd, Your not violating any posting rules. You posted this in Alternative methods. If someones offended they don't have to comment. Theres nothing you could post on here that everyone would agree with. Now, I fished hoop nets probably 20 years ago in the Mississippi and Hatchie rivers in West Tn. That was alot different than what you'll be doing in a lake though. We fished em with no bait. These rivers have strong current that keeps the nets stretched and standing up. If your fishing them in a lake you'll have to screw a 1x2 0r 2x2 the length of the net to every hoop to make them stand up. If not they'll lay flat and not be fishing. In a lake you'll also want to bait em with some meal cake (cottonseed meal) cheese or something. Your not violating any laws so don't feel bad about it. Hope this helps some.

George
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

So basicly ya wanna do this so ya can beat the system. And ya wonder why. LOL! Hell,why not. Folks that have nothin wrong with them collect SSI. May as well join in on the scam. Everybody else is doin it.
    "IF YA SAY YOU'RE GONNA DO IT----DO IT"

joe
    Post Thanks / Like

If the man buys his license and follows the laws he's not beating any system. Thats a silly comment. And as far as the tax thing goes if it's legal it's not beating any system either. No more than you paying for your drivers license and driving your car according to the laws.

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Toddrod, as I have stated I hope you the best. What I was getting at was the fact that legal or not, alot of folks think commercial fishing is an outdated practice, as a matter of fact I too think it is a outdated practice that should be stopped in freshwater environments. My reasons are many, and I will state a few. And trust me it is nothing personal. Nowadays most all states stock fish in the waters to help keep the population up, this was not done in the past, but now that it is and the fact that taxpayer dollars pay for those fish to be stocked, it seems like theft from the taxpayers for commercial catfishermen to harvest those fish for a profit. Yes you are paying a bit more for yourr commercial lisence, but not nearly enough to replace the amount of grown fish that are taken and sold. Second there are fish farms that produce fish commercially and they suffer from commercial fishermen competing with them with wild fish. They buy or raise their fish from fry and pay money out for feed and upkeep, how can they compete against a commercial fisherman whom catches fish from public water, hatched and released by the state with taxpayer money, and feed and raised in public water? There are many more people in our country nowadays than there used to be,populations have risen greatly since commercial freshwater fishing was viable. Many more people are fishing the waters than ever before. commercial fishing is just not a practice that encourages healthy populations of fish in the waters it is done at, it removes many fish from one area, and does hurt the fish populations more than sport fishing ever will.
    the reason I thought this may not be the best place for this topic was that it would start a real ruckus and most likely involve some hate being voiced on the subject, not because there is anything against the rules about it, anyway whatever you decide to do, do it right and practice good conservation practices, I am most definately not one that releases every fish, and not hating on you, have a good weekend!

George
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    If the man buys his license and follows the laws he's not beating any system. Thats a silly comment. And as far as the tax thing goes if it's legal it's not beating any system either. No more than you paying for your drivers license and driving your car according to the laws.
    LOL! He said it himself. All ya gotta do is read it. He wants to be able to write his boat off on the taxes so he has a bit more coin.
    "IF YA SAY YOU'RE GONNA DO IT----DO IT"

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Just so that members can understand where I am coming from I will explain myself further.

I live in Vacherie, LA. A small town west of New Orleans. The lake I speak of is Lake Des Allemands. It is rated as one of the best lakes in the state for catfish production and has been for years. Down here in the south we do not have "pay" lakes and the state does not stock any catfish anywhere. Hell, we have water everywhere. There are also NO commercial catfish pond operations anywhere within 100 miles of me. Many people in my area get there commercial licenses to make a little side money on their days off of work, whether it be for crabs, crawfish, catfish, shrimp, alligator or mullet. Now if anyone has a problem with me starting up a small side business legally, and benifiting from the tax laws just as any other business can, then tough. There are no trophy fish taken in the setups I am thinking of using. Hell, you could not even sell a trophy sized catfish down here, there is no market for them dead or alive. Everyone of my potential customers prefer eater sized fillets and appreciates fresh fish directly from the lake, at an affordable price, as compared to the store bought expensive fillets. I guess until a person lives down here where I live, and have the natural resources we have, you will probably not be able to undrstand where I am coming from.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast