Quantcast
Best catfish skinners? - Page 3

In Memory of MRR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ron
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here.....I use my electric fillet knife on the eatin' size dudes, and have a pair of pincers that work well enough for the larger ones.

Zeb Goff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default modified visegrips.

modify some visegrips so the jaws are wider. then take a grinder and put some scores in the metal ( dont cut through the piece of plate athough ) so it holds the skin. then skin away.

Denis (Denny) A
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd highly recommend Memphis Net and Twine at:
    http://www.memphisnet.net. I just bought a skinner with the Jackson name. They list for $6.15 plus shipping. I had totally worn out a pair exactly like it after 4 years and thousands of cats (not intending to brag). The old pair just wore out. The good thing about this is that they have a set of cutters on either side that makes quick work of skinning. You can use a cutter to slice a line through the skin down each upper side of the fish which makes pulling the skin much easier. At the same time I bought a more commercial pair just to try them made by Maybrun. They are heavier but not as handy for me since they do not have the side cutters. One thing I did find also there is a hook used commercially for hanging fish for skinning. It works great. It probably takes an average of less than 30 seconds to skin any eater size fish (up to 5 lb say). Since I got the new hook and the sharp, new skinner in January, I haven't caught anything larger than that to test it:confused2:
    In any case, if you search the website with the words skinning pliers,
    all brands of pliers plus the hook come up. Good luck.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old fashioned-RELIABLE-Fish skinners

My name is Jim Zilch (Peoria, Il. area). Years ago my grandfather made the best skinners available. They look like a high quality pair of specialty plyers. The top jaw is curved and the bottom jaw is flat. The handles had red rubber tubing on them for comfort. I am making them now (just getting started). I will be attending the fishing areas between Spring Valley and Havana this summer with skinners for you to see and buy if you like them.

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

bro give filleting them a try, I have not skinned a fish in 20+ years, and let me tell you it is much less work to fillet than to skin. I don't know how many folks I have converted to filleting the cats, everytime I go to a fish cleaning station and someone shows up they are astounded at how easy and effortless it is. they are usually done with skinning from that moment on. A 4 lb channel is done in about a minute and a half. crappie walleye and other panfish I fillet about two fish a minute, with just my regular fillet knife, I don't use electric but may try it someday. my biggest tip is to get a good fillet knife and keep it razor sharp, that is the biggest key in filleting. I often sharpen or switch knives every 4 fish when going hot and hard.

howard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am with the fillet guys. I have an electric fillet knife and after a few practice fish, you can fillet a bunch in a short time. I also found out that an electric fillet knife will slice bread like a charm.

Richard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boaterplus View Post
    My name is Jim Zilch (Peoria, Il. area). Years ago my grandfather made the best skinners available. They look like a high quality pair of specialty plyers. The top jaw is curved and the bottom jaw is flat. The handles had red rubber tubing on them for comfort. I am making them now (just getting started). I will be attending the fishing areas between Spring Valley and Havana this summer with skinners for you to see and buy if you like them.

Might be a market for them here in the new business threads , I'd be interested in them, I'm old fashioned, I fillet my cats but much prefer skinning first the old way.

Tony
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boaterplus View Post
    I live about 20 miles south of Havana, And would definitely be interested in these if they are what I think they are. My Grandpa used to run a commercial fish/bait shop, and we used these extensively, but I lost my last pair and haven't seen any like them for years. They are just the ticket for fiddlers and bullhead that you might want to fry up whole. If you can post some pictures, I would love to see them. Do the have a 'finger hook' on one handle to help with pulling?
    If they are what I am looking for, I know of at least three or four people in my family that would be interested.

Larry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mullyden View Post
    I'd highly recommend Memphis Net and Twine at:
    Memphis Net and Twine - Custom Commercial Fishing Nets, Sports Nets, & Industrial Nets. I just bought a skinner with the Jackson name. They list for $6.15 plus shipping. I had totally worn out a pair exactly like it after 4 years and thousands of cats (not intending to brag). The old pair just wore out. The good thing about this is that they have a set of cutters on either side that makes quick work of skinning. You can use a cutter to slice a line through the skin down each upper side of the fish which makes pulling the skin much easier. At the same time I bought a more commercial pair just to try them made by Maybrun. They are heavier but not as handy for me since they do not have the side cutters. One thing I did find also there is a hook used commercially for hanging fish for skinning. It works great. It probably takes an average of less than 30 seconds to skin any eater size fish (up to 5 lb say). Since I got the new hook and the sharp, new skinner in January, I haven't caught anything larger than that to test it:confused2:
    In any case, if you search the website with the words skinning pliers,
    all brands of pliers plus the hook come up. Good luck.
    I used to have a pair of those kind of skinners with the cutter hooks on the sides... until one of my buddys was skinning a cat and the pliers slipped like they do, and came down and layed his other hand open real bad ! As we were walking to the truck to go get him stitched up those pliers got tossed into the river. It is not that hard to start a cut with a knife and then grab a skinner. I won't use that type ever again. I do agree on the hanging the fish up to skin, much easier.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skinners

When I was commerical fishing for cats I used skinners to save as much as meat as possible, but now I'm not fishing commerical I fillet them, much easier.
    This is what I did using skinners, go to walmart and look at all there skinners and pinch them together, and if the pincher don't come together flush againts the other pincher blade look for another pair.
    When you get em home take a screwdriver put it under the spring in the handle and bend it a little until the spring is not so stiff.
    If you are skinning a lot of fish your hand get tired if the skinners are stiff.
    Another thing like the other poster said, do not buy the skinners with the sharpe blades on the side of the skinners.
    I was skinning one with a pair like that years ago, and I was hot and tired and the skinners slipped off the cat as I was pulling real hard and cut my leg open, I will never use them again never.
    Hope this helps ya some.....Good Fishing To Ya
    Puddinhead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast