How far Do catfish travel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    todd
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How far Do catfish travel?

I was wondering how far catfish will travel up a creek or river?

Jake Kustan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a good question... I'd be interested in seeing some replies. I've seen them in some odd places when the rivers are flooded so I'd imagine they'd travel wherever to get away from that ripping current. Anyone else?

roger
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Read a article in InFisherman last year about a guy who was studing this with flatheads, put a radio on a number of fish and tracked them for a year, some went up and down the river as much as 100 miles, others never moved out of thier pool in the river. Intresting question, I just want to know were where they are today

Ross
    Post Thanks / Like

They'll go all the way up to the dam :wink:

I've noticed in a lake close to mine, that the further I get up one of the creek the smaller the fish tend to be. Granted I've only been like maybe 2-3 miles, and I'm sure it's all coincidence...

Bryan
    Post Thanks / Like

How far can us humans travel? As far as our limits. I'll say the the same regarding catfish.

Shaun Williams
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default CATFISH TRAVEL DISTANCE

Now this is an interesting question........where I live on the ohio river a neighbor has been tagging cats for 10-12yrs now that he catches on the river from time to time.This man is 71 yrs old and has NEVER had anyone call the # on the tag to report the catch.so apparently they either havent been caught or the tag is getting wollard off in rocks or mud!!I do know that not all cats are the same (like people)some are home bodies while others are nomads,some stay and some go!! A paddle fish was snagged below the barkley dam Ky. that had been tagged years earlier in North Dakota,the fish had navigated over 2000 mi. of rivers and lock&dams SO with this being fact(in-fisherman)its really easy to answer the question.....some will travel endlessly their whole life searching for that pot of gold,while others stay congragated to a few miles of water or less...really just depends on the fish!!:eek:

Tanya
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

This is just my theory, haven't researched it.....but I think about 20 miles, for full-grown catfish.

Scott Brown
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

from what ive read flatheads tend to have a home area of less the 10 miles

blue cats travel great distances 100 miles or more in large river's

like said above I think it all depends on the fish myself

even in lake impoundments after a good rain the fish will travel up into a feeder creek's with current running into it then on the fall of the water move back out into the main lake it seems

channel cats do this allmost everytime in my area after a good rain

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Think it depends on the food source and breeding. Catfish do a couple things very well, the eat and they breed. I think they move to breed and they follow the food source.

Ron
    Post Thanks / Like

Here on the Snake River in Idaho the F&G did a study on Channel cats. They asked fishermen in a cat tournament to let them tag their fish before they released them. One fish was recaptured near Swan Falls dam. That is over 100 river miles from the release site. Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast