zebco 808 boss hawg combo

Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default zebco 808 boss hawg combo

Was thinking about getting my nephew one of these combos at walmart,but I couldn't find any info so i called zebco and they told me that it holds 150 yards of 20lb test and the gears were brass just wondering if this would be a good setup for cats up to 10 pounds?

MIKE

I had a 808 I loaned out for years and it held up. They caught catfish up to 20 plus pounds on it. They also caught some big carp on it.

Jake Kustan
    Blog Entries

Not sure about the 808 Boss Hawg, but I've landed 20lb + cats with the 888 and the newer 808 saltwater (probably the same as any other 808 just stainless steel parts to hold up to the salt). I used these reels for years before I could afford high end baitcasters. I would definitely recommend these for someone just starting out. Easy to cast and use. They come prespooled with 20 lb but I would always fill em with 25 lb Ande and they casted/worked just fine.

hollis

Think Wal-Mart had a combo like that with a blinking bite alert. As a beginner set-up, should do well.

Zebco is the ole American standard reel. Perfect for starting him out.
    THROW SOME
    CATFISH BAIT

Jeff
    Blog Entries

i wish i could find a few of the old 808's they were ssdang good reels,but the new one suck aass...

CHAD

Quote Originally Posted by holliswood View Post
    Think Wal-Mart had a combo like that with a blinking bite alert. As a beginner set-up, should do well.
    The ole' hawg seeker combo!!! I had one of those 4 years ago when i first started going after cats!! I loved that thing and it was cool.....until i was reeling it in as fast as it would roll with 50lb spiderwire and it caught a snag... and when it did , my hand was still going round and round wiith the handle!! snapped her right off!! ;)

I still use one of those 808 Boss Hawg combos every now and then. As a matter of fact I caught about a 9 lb flathead on mine Saturday night. I use mine sparingly, mostly at night to avoid backlashes on my Abus. I guess the biggest fish I've caught on mine was abt a 15 lb carp, but as I said, don't use it much. I put 25 lb test Big Game mono on mine. Don't know if it would handle a line zipping 20 lb striper or not, but I'm confident it would bring in some big fish.

Gary

I've got one of these and my grandsons love it. No snarled bird nests to untangle and casts easy.

Good for starting them out, he'll be ready to step it up before long! :>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast