how to make catfish boxes or homemade holes for noodling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    matt hughes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default how to make catfish boxes or homemade holes for noodling

thinkin about makin some boxes to weight down in the river for noodling . me and my cousin wanna try our hand at it but dont know the size the boxes need to be or if they need to be hollow all the way through or have an end to it on 1 side. any ideas?

john fisher
    Post Thanks / Like

Memphis net and twine sells these slat traps. You could probably get dimensions from their web site. I think they are built with white oak if i'm not mistaken. As far as the throat i think if ya cut a bevel on the 4 supports at the entrance and used thin material that would flex you'll be in business. I never fished any of these things, but have seen them in the past. I have friends that used 16" pvc irrigation pipe they set to noodle with. Never done any of that either, just tryin to give some ideas.

matt hughes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountryHart View Post
    Memphis net and twine sells these slat traps. You could probably get dimensions from their web site. I think they are built with white oak if i'm not mistaken. As far as the throat i think if ya cut a bevel on the 4 supports at the entrance and used thin material that would flex you'll be in business. I never fished any of these things, but have seen them in the past. I have friends that used 16" pvc irrigation pipe they set to noodle with. Never done any of that either, just tryin to give some ideas.

thanks for info man i hadn't thought about that but sounds like itd work good and pvc aint all that expensive.

john fisher
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what part of Ark. ya from but i was raised around Des Arc and most farmers have it layin around. Not sure about the regs, but you might cut the ends out of clean poly drums and pop rivet a couple together and cut a entrance hole in them. never done any of this, i perfer to fish above the surface, due to a bad back. Mine has a big yellow streak right down the middle of it.:>:>:>:>

clarence

Post Thanks / Like

Default 55 gallon drums

back home in oklahoma alot of people use 55 gallon drums cut in half with the top cut off one end or i have seen people use cut open waterheaters or bath tubs but check local laws before u sink anything some places dont really like u doing that and be carefull if u sink anything metal rust will make it sharp and make sure u sink it deep enough where even if water level goes down it wont expose it if u get air in there u may find all kinds of critters in there u dont want

Scott Brown
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

old hot water heaters work pretty good gut them add some rocks or blocks ,, they sink and stay put !!!

Trevor

Post Thanks / Like

Noodling catfish out of tubs, barrells, or boxes is just way too easy, heck anybody can catch 'em that way. Half the fun in noodling is actually finding the catfish.

Stuart
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor1 View Post
    Noodling catfish out of tubs, barrells, or boxes is just way too easy, heck anybody can catch 'em that way. Half the fun in noodling is actually finding the catfish.
    It's also safer. When you sink something like that you can make sure there's no air pockets in it so it doesn't attract something that you don't want. If it was legal here I'd be sinking tubs.

Trevor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BowieKnife357 View Post
    It's also safer. When you sink something like that you can make sure there's no air pockets in it so it doesn't attract something that you don't want. If it was legal here I'd be sinking tubs.
    Most catfish noodlers ain't worried about being safe.

Stuart
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor1 View Post
    Most catfish noodlers ain't worried about being safe.
    When I stick my hand in a hole I like being confident that there is no muskrat, beaver, or snapping turtle in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast