Quantcast
Bait for farm raised catfish?

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Andy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait for farm raised catfish?

I will be taking my son to a childrens catfish tournament they have every year here in a few weeks. They stock the city pond with 2-300 1-3 lb catfish, and they are farm raised. I got to thinking this year, since they have only been in that water for a day when they tournament starts, they just came from the farm, so they have no natural baits, they only get the pellets or whatever. So anyone have any suggestions to help my son have an advantage, :lol: , over everyone? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Greg Rettig
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Andy, I think you might have some luck with worms and chicken liver. I also caught some of the ones I was raising with crickets while I was bream fishing. I had never heard of Danny King's Punch bait back then but it might be worth a try. Good luck and let us know how ya'll did.

ST

Hey Andy, I just realized this was your first post so.....
    Welcome to the Brotherhood! It's always good to have more Arkies on board. Just make yourself at home Bro.

Last edited by SeedTick; 05-26-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Jared
    Post Thanks / Like

In a local farmed raised catfish pond, we've used liver with huge success. Havnt ever used anything else.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default chicken

chicken breast with cherry kool aid or cajun crawdad tail from walmart

Tony Stoll
    Post Thanks / Like

i know you probably wont do this but i find that nightcrawlers really are a natural bait and the catfish have eaten them in farm ponds. so use some nightcrawlers and try stinkbait also that gets them small cats very aroused!

Andy
    Post Thanks / Like

alright guys, thanks. I have been fishing this tournament for the last 2 years with my son, but before he was old enough, I would go myself after it was over for the past 10ish years. I always come home with between 10-20 keepers. I usually have the best luck with livers and worms, but I just had a thought that maybe there would be something that the "farmers" would like better. Thanks for the help.

andy

David
    Post Thanks / Like

chicken liver with nightcrawers. Ive had a huge sucess on that.

Rory (Rusty) Carter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask H2O Mellon he is the pay pond KING! LOL And welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net! I have never tried this but have heard dogfood with the holes in the middle like a donut, just load a hook up with them sence they are used to the pellets.

mike
    Post Thanks / Like

cant go wrong with nite-crawlers for farm cats. now if you can get hold of some catalpa worms, thiose things are a miracle bait for them! i used to fish farm cats years ago and it seemed i done best on catalpas, crawlers, cube steak, or spam.

Andy
    Post Thanks / Like

What about some catalpa worm paste? The stuff that you fill up that little ball thing on a hook. I thought about getting that. I don't think i've ever seen any catalpa worms around here though, other than that.

Andy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast