fishing leases

Thread: fishing leases

Keddy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing leases

Is this a type of site to see if anyone has fishing lease or private places to fish such as farm ponds, river etc. I seem to never have luck in the public waters in Wichita, always loads of poeple there. Would appreciate any info or comments.

Thanks

Jay Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Keddy.

I have never even heard of a fishing lease up here.

Casey Rush
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen river lots for lease over in missouri and nebraska, but haven't ran across any in Ks. Not sure why they aren't on both sides of the river.

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the USCA, Keddy.

I'm not familiar with many pay-to-fish leases, but the ones I've heard of are either very expensive, very long waiting lists, or both.

Sedwick County fishing sites (12 locations)
    Fishing Maps for Sedgwick County Locations / Where to Fish in Kansas / Fishing / KDWP - KDWP

F.I.S.H. Program
    Fishing Impoundments and Stream Habitats - F.I.S.H. Program / Special Fishing Programs for You / Fishing / KDWP - KDWP

Depending on how far you're willing to travel, some of the FISH Program ponds can prove to be dandys. I used to fish several in Mitchell County that were about 75 miles one way for me. As I recall; however, your neck of the woods (Wichita area???) didn't have many if any ponds enrolled in this program. These ponds are leased by the KDWP and the leases change yearly. As a general rule, the more populated the area of the state you live in is, the fewer the number of land owners that are willing to enroll their private ponds and river access into the KDWP F.I.S.H. Program.

Good luck in your quest to discover fish infested waters that no one else fishes... that is, short of buying a stocked pond and hiring a guard to watch over it!!! Getting permission to fish private ponds in this day and age is difficult, at best. It helps immensely if you are of good character and know the land owner or live very close by. And if you do get permission to fish a private pond, go above and beyond to respect the person's property. This advice even includes picking up trash that was left there by others, etc.

Ray
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them occasionally pop up on craigslist, but the ones I've checked on were outrageously priced. Your best bet is just pick a small lake reasonably close, and just get to know it.

James
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a place over near kingman that has a pay to fish. I think there are 9 ponds and its set up so that you pay per fish caught. Not a lease deal, this place is just pay when you actually show up.

Keddy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kansasgoose View Post
    There is a place over near kingman that has a pay to fish. I think there are 9 ponds and its set up so that you pay per fish caught. Not a lease deal, this place is just pay when you actually show up.
    yea i do a lot of fishing in kingman, never been there though