baitrunner for catfishing????

Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast
    Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default baitrunner for catfishing????

i have a cabelas salt striker baitrunner reel for one of my cat reels, i was wandering does anyone use baitrunners on there cats? i have used it with success and somtimes they take it to a big snag and your not getting it out, or should i just let them double over the rod and have drag set?

RebelMan
    monster catfish

Quote Originally Posted by slayer66624 View Post
    i have a cabelas salt striker baitrunner reel for one of my cat reels, i was wandering does anyone use baitrunners on there cats? i have used it with success and somtimes they take it to a big snag and your not getting it out, or should i just let them double over the rod and have drag set?
    Wow thats alot of questions lol.

First I love love love love love baitrunners. I have 3 different kinds and love them all.

Cabelas Salt Striker Baitfeeder Model 80:

Great drag settings on the baitrunner and main drag. I like the baitrunner drag because you can set it very very loose like the bail is open and you can set it really tight for fast current. I have around 275-300 yards of 65lb braid on it. I could have half the amount of line on a 65 model and be fine but I always want alot of line for some reason.

Shimano Baitrunner 12000-

This is basically the same size as the model 80 salt striker. This reel wont twist like the salt striker does under heavy pressure/current. This is a very smooth reel and a big upgrade but you will have to pay almost 3 times as much for this so you will see improvements lol.

Stingray Aqua 50-

This is a nice baitrunner but its way too small for me. Nice reel if you are using like 12 lb test mono. But I would recommend getting the 60 for more line capacity. I wish the drag was alil bit tighter on the baitrunner. Seems to me it doesnt tighten down as much I would like it to for heavy current.

Readingcatfisher(Jim) has a baitrunner that he likes and I'm sure he will post his reel on here.

Now with the baitrunner engaged for flatheads..... I just started fishing for flatheads last year and I was using a baitrunner engaged and ill tell you what. Dont use it when fishing ANYWHERE near structure. I would save this for deep holes and clear flats. Because I have had quite a few flatheads grab the bait and run right into the snag. I'd recommend using circle hooks with the baitrunner OFF. He will grab your bait and try to go into the snag and you have him hooked. Just make sure your drag is set good because if its wrong your line is either going to snap or your going to give him too much room to run and he will get stuck.

Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks that is a great answer for what i was looking for, and yea i want that shimano when i got enough extra cash but for now i got 2 saltstrikers on 10 foot rods i forget what kind, and they both got 65lb power pro on them, and i am getting ready to order some circle hooks offline i found gamakatsu 8/0 for 2.50 free shipping for a pack of six so i think that a good deal

RebelMan
    monster catfish

some of my runners
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0187.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	140615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0371.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	140616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0120.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	140617  

Daniel
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Shimano baitrunners for YEARS. I always set the baitrunner lever on. No big deal when fishing open water but has pros and cons when fishing tight in logs. One of the main reasons I prefer daytime flathead fishing is that I can watch my rod tips. I don't use broomsticks just for that reason, tips don't lie.
    I think somebody should do a poll if they use their baitclicker or baitrunner feature is to WAKE their tired azzes up! LMAO

Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
    some of my runners
    nice reels man

Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
    I've been using Shimano baitrunners for YEARS. I always set the baitrunner lever on. No big deal when fishing open water but has pros and cons when fishing tight in logs. One of the main reasons I prefer daytime flathead fishing is that I can watch my rod tips. I don't use broomsticks just for that reason, tips don't lie.
    I think somebody should do a poll if they use their baitclicker or baitrunner feature is to WAKE their tired azzes up! LMAO

lol yea i love hearing that sound it will get me to jump up real fast haha, and i got a little beeper on the side of my pool that also will let me know if im not hearing baitrunner

j

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slayer66624 View Post
    I have one bait runner. Shimano 3500B That reel has caught a lot of cats, bigguns too. I use the runner feature mostly when the fish are bitting lightly now. With the help of Kenlaw I started deadsticking and It works awesome.

RebelMan
    monster catfish

Quote Originally Posted by rivershark View Post
    I have one bait runner. Shimano 3500B That reel has caught a lot of cats, bigguns too. I use the runner feature mostly when the fish are bitting lightly now. With the help of Kenlaw I started deadsticking and It works awesome.
    I go nuts when im trying to have four baitrunners out and have them all engaged and the boat wont stop rocking:Mad:

Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
    I go nuts when im trying to have four baitrunners out and have them all engaged and the boat wont stop rocking:Mad:
    haha that would be alot of clicking sounds

Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast