How to Catch Big Catfish from the Bank

View Poll Results: Where do you catch your biggest catfish from the bank?

Voters
412. You may not vote on this poll
  • In close flats where they feed, usually at night.

137 33.25%
  • As far as I can heave it.

96 23.30%
  • Thrown to known structure like holes, humps, ect.

138 33.50%
  • In close visible structure like logs, bridge pilings, grass beds, pier pilings, ect.

125 30.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Catch Big Catfish from the Bank

Here's something I spend many nights each year doing. No worries about keeping up a boat, just lots of fun and relaxation. Let me know what you think. As a kicker, I'm curious to see where you guys catch your biggest catfish from the bank, so please vote in the poll!

How to catch monster catfish from the shore - Charleston Fishing | Examiner.com

Tyler Payne
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed the article, thanks Hunter.

Jack Holsky
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say all the above, Hunter. No two bank spots are alike and usually you have to take what you can get. All of your choices are known big fish haunts and I've pulled nice ones from each example. I rarely fish close in, unless I'm fishing alone though, the temptation to carry on a conversation is too great a risk, and can easily spook your quarry. If I ever find the dream spot you allude to, I'm sure I would be fishing at least two of them at a time, then switch tactics (presentation, rigging and bait) as time went by, hopefully to pull a monster off of each area. If I had to choose only one, it would be totally dependent on the equipment I had with me. Lite line isn't going to be of much use in heavy cover, just as a short heavy setup wont reach that far out channel.

I enjoyed your write up, I think you will go far ; )

Dave
    Post Thanks / Like

To catch big cats from the bank you need to know the body of water you are fishing. You need to keep your ears open and ask questions. If you are fishing a lake and the largest cat ever caught was a 15lb channel, the chance of catching a 60lb blue is probably slim. You need to find out what species of cats are in the water you fish and the size you can expect to catch. I only bank fish and only fish the Mississippi and have a real chance to catch a blue cat over 100lbs. because they are in the area I fish. Good luck.

Festus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I voted close visible structure, but l catch them in all the places mentioned. My biggest cat from the bank was a blue estimated at a little over 40 lbs, caught on either 6 or 8 lb test around the 4th of July abt 1988 on a gob of nightcrawlers. It was in abt 10' of water near a culvert with current.I know a fellow who caught a 45 pounder once last year approx 45 lb on a crappie jig with 4 lb test Mr. Crappie mono. And l've seen more big cats caught in the spring by crappie fishermen using 2" to 3" fathead minnows.

Tan Bui
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

All of the above poll choices is good places to catch big catfish, but I say none of the above.

The best way to catch big catfish from the bank is time on the water. If you fish more, you'll have a better chance of running into the One.

Justin Kilgore
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the third option, I like to fish the most interesting spots I can find, steep banks with wooded flat with a deep water source swinging in close like an old river channel. use as many rods as i can, cast a few far and a few short with live and cut bait."gills".

Steve
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted as far as I can heave it as I have never caught a big one close to shore. It is also fun to sling big weights and hear the splash way out from shore and have folks come up to you and ask what the hell was that you threw out there.
    Fire at will, which one's will? Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk

david
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Well,That is a good question!Since I have caught nice size kitty's in all of those locations!I don't think its the location that's most of all important in this case.That kitty focuses on smell,if it's funky smellin he's commin to it!HANG ON BABY!!!!!!

Wayne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Funny you ask this...

Traditionally most bank fisherman lock it down and wait on a bite. This I do most of the time however, for the sake of the questions I choose night on the flats. My favorite hole is the I95 Lake Marion abandon bridge using a shrimp since, there are mussels and snails everywhere. Ok, but in the springtime when the cats are prespawn up in the current I will use crickets with a pole float about 2' - 3' feet down on the Wateree/Congaree/PeeDee/Santee rivers. I throw it upstream and let it drift down near the bank to a down tree or over a deep hole. OMG a 10 pound channel in the current is surprisingly powerful. That is my favorite way to fish and in addtion, I usually have a couple of rods on the bank with chicken livers, cut gizzard shad, or minnows/goldfish just in case fat mcflatty or a bouncing blue wants to step up and take a right circle hook in the jaw. :beer::mohawk:

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast