S10 Heater Core

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: S10 Heater Core

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default S10 Heater Core

Got a 98 s10, noticed coolant smell in cab this morning. Windshield fogged up after sitting at work a couple hours. I think the heater core is toast. Anybody got any experience with this repair? Looks like the whole dash has to come out, and I'm thinking this would be a good job for someone else. I would like opinions on said repair before i spend the $$$$. Its a shame it costs so much to replace a $60 part.

Jerry Morris
    Post Thanks / Like

It don't matter what vehicle you got, it's a pain in the *** no matter what.

Casey
    Post Thanks / Like

Man im in the same boat mine is out In my f150 went out when i was in south catolina. The fog on the winshield was pain n my arse. Had drive all 700 miles
    Home with window down i froze.

J.C.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On the older Fords it is behind the glove box and easy to get to. Not sure about the newer ones.
    "TAKE A KID FISHIN"

The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it.
    The flag flies because each soldiers' last breath blows by it!

USMC 64-68

Michael
    Post Thanks / Like

yep the whole dash has to come out. bout a 8 hr job.

aaron wheatley

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Your looking at $400 if your lucky.

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopgrandma View Post
    Got a 98 s10, noticed coolant smell in cab this morning. Windshield fogged up after sitting at work a couple hours. I think the heater core is toast. Anybody got any experience with this repair? Looks like the whole dash has to come out, and I'm thinking this would be a good job for someone else. I would like opinions on said repair before i spend the $$$$. Its a shame it costs so much to replace a $60 part.
    Depends on the year but there was a class action lawsuit on the Dexcool that was remimbursing a good portion of coolant system repairs.
    I don't know if it's expired or what but it wouldn't be hard to find on the net.

Biggest thing with those vehicle being that so much is aluminum is running the recommended anti freeze. Don't put the green in them.
    They've had alot of heater core, water pump, and head gasket issues in the Vortec V6 in some of those years.
    Alot of it is caused by folks not running the right coolant according to my GM certified mechanic. You can't run just any ol coolant with aluminum engine components as the aluminum will pit.

Mike aka thunde
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your problem. Will be interested in hearing what you do as I have the same 98 truck and engine. Best of luck.
    :glasses-cool:

Dallas Barnwell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

i have a olds bravada my heater core is clogging up not putting out much heat started in on the fix last week got front of dash tore out and still could not get to it! guess next step is figurring out how to drop the whole dash down but think i will try a flush first not looking forwerd to pulling dash ! the coolent in it is the nastyest looking stuff i ever seen!

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas1 View Post
    i have a olds bravada my heater core is clogging up not putting out much heat started in on the fix last week got front of dash tore out and still could not get to it! guess next step is figurring out how to drop the whole dash down but think i will try a flush first not looking forwerd to pulling dash ! the coolent in it is the nastyest looking stuff i ever seen!
    That is why alot of folks make the mistake of going to green antifreeze and then the real problems start.
    Best thing to do with the red stuff is flush it periodically. I put on average 40,000 miles a year on a vehicle. I have my system flushed once a year.

The way these vehicles are now, you are ahead of the game if you stick to the manual.

When it comes to oil however I use Amsoil with Amsoil filters.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast