New Personal Best Blue Catfish From Lake Monticello

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Dieter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Personal Best Blue Catfish From Lake Monticello

Captain Rodger Taylor and myself decided to spend New Years Eve on Lake Monticello fishing today. We saw Captain Chris Simpson at the boat ramp meeting up with a guide party that he was taking out. The weather was awesome with light winds, partly cloudy sky's, and highs in the 50's. The lake temperature was around 55 degrees.

The first spot started off with a bang. After about 30 minutes of being anchored I got a slow pull down that looked like a big fish. The rod tip got within a few inches of the water, and then POP! The fish was gone as the bait pulled loose. We let them continue to soak, and about 15 minutes later the rod folded over again. This time the fish was hook and hooked good.

I decided to have some fun today, so I was fishing with my striper rods. The medium-light action striper rods have landed 30-40 pound fish before, so I figured it would be fun to hook into some teeners and 20 pound class fish on the lighter tackle.

Well, this fish was a little bigger.

After about two good pulls and a couple of cranks I knew we needed the net. Capt Taylor manned the net and waited for the fish to surface. I told Rodger it was a good fish and would probably top the 30 pound mark. As soon as it was in the net we both realized this was a 50 pound class fish.

My 100 pound scales got another workout. We weighed the fish out of the net and it came in at 61.5 pounds. For me, it was an all time personal best blue catfish

If you want to catch a fish like this, you can catch this exact fish. It was released ALIVE back into Lake Monticello after a trip to the scales and some pictures.

A special thanks to Captain Rodger Taylor for the "special bait" today that brought the fish in, some awesome pictures, and for doing a great net job. Also, a BIG THANKS to Captain Chris Simpson for sharing some of his knowledge earlier this year about fishing Lake Monticello. The experience of fishing with him gave me confidence to do some things on that lake that I would not have done otherwise done.

What a way to close out 2010!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Bob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Congrats Boss!!!!

skip
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, that is one ---- of a fish to end the year on..................
    Let's go fishing......

Dickie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Dieter congrads on a great finish for 2010 , now you just need to get a bigger one in 2011 .LOL

JimmyJonny
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

oh hell...this aint gonna help me on that line thread is it ?,,,,,LOL. all chit set a side, congrats, that's a hell of a fish.

That blue is holding one ugly cat is all gotta say...awsome pic ; )~

-Jim-

USCA - STAFF
    Greg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Yawn........ An experienced angler like yourself should know better than fishing for anything with Med light tackle. Oh well all you caught was a few minnows lol
    All kidding aside, those fish get the heart a pumping don't they.

P.S Maybe you should schedule a few more non fishing Biologists to have a couple seminars about something they have no clue about. I am available for hire if the price is right.

Bill
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn nice fish! Congrats, Dieter!!

Bill in SC

Pat Chaney
    Post Thanks / Like

Great way to end the year, Dieter - Congrats!!!!!!!

Jason knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

congrats on the nice fish

Wayne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is huge!!! Ah that is inspirational and I hope I am the next one to battle a beast like that...Congratulations and Happy New Year!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast