Can I shoot any slug through a modified choke tube?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Can I shoot any slug through a modified choke tube?

I got a question. I am new to barrels with choke tubes. I got a remington 870 express 3 inch chamber 12 gauge and I and wondering if I can shoot any slug out of the mod. choke tube in a bird barrel. I heard from the salesman at basspro that I cant shoot anyhting but bird shot he said buck shot isnt even reccomended. But I think he might of just been trying to make another $300 dollar sale. so I did some research online and every one says 00 is fine throught a mod. choke tube but the slug deal is a confusing conversation. I know I cant shoot a Sabot slug out of it. But how about a rifled slug or any other type of slug? Thanks

Preston Hobbs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

If it is a rifled choke tube,you can shoot a rifled slug.If not,shoot sabots.If the barrel or choke tube isn't rifled the rifled slug won't be as accurate as the sabot.

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm I keep hearing that a rifled slug shot out of anything other than a fully rifled barrel can be up to 1ft off target. My barrel is just a bird barrel with the modified choke tube that came with it. But the fully rifled barrel is $320 for the cantilever or $210 for the rifle sighted one. Well I only paid $200 for the Gun with bird barrel I dont want to pay more for a barrel than I did for the gun but if I have to I will or maybe look for a smooth bore at a used gun shop or Even heard good thing about pawn shop guns But i have never been to a pawn shop. Thanks for the Input!!

Jon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is my recommendation

Buy several brands of slug, saboted,rifled, whichever you wish to use, then shoot your gun and see how they do at the range you anticipate shooting a deer. You may be very surprised at the accuracy. If they do not prove to be satisfactory, then go with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube, and once again shoot it to check accuracy.

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

should I get the rifled choke tube before I shoot a slug or will it be ok to shoot a slug through a Modified choke tube?

Richard
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rich, The mod wont hurt to use with the old fashioned soft lead rifled slugs, accuracy just wont be great. I'd invest in a rifled tube if I was serious about using it for a slug gun, or better yet, get a rifled slug barrel.

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 223reload View Post
    Rich, The mod wont hurt to use with the old fashioned soft lead rifled slugs, accuracy just wont be great. I'd invest in a rifled tube if I was serious about using it for a slug gun, or better yet, get a rifled slug barrel.
    I would like to get the Rifled barrel. But the rifled barrel is $100 more than I paid for the gun and I cant find used ones any where. I think I will go with a rifled tube and sabot slugs to try it out And if it dont work out. Find a cheap smooth bore pump or a rifled single shot BTW. I paid $230 for the gun and the rifled barrel is $310

Kenny
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A rifled slug will fly with dead-on accuracy through a plain modified barrel up to and at 60-75yrds even out to 100 . you just have to shoot your gun and get the feel for it at different sight ranges. You cannot beat the slug guns or a 30/30 for the short range type stalk/brush hunting.

I jumped a buck on a stalk and shot him as he was running straight away from me at 75-100+, I was holding level, right on his back as he came up on the run and as he was on the bounce coming up the third to fifth time, I fired and he dropped like a rock and slid to a halt..LOL. Man that was fun to watch. the slug entered in the rear end of this deer's * LMHO (No Kidden) and followed the spine and lodged in the neck.

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flamekeeper View Post
    A rifled slug will fly with dead-on accuracy through a plain modified barrel up to and at 60-75yrds even out to 100 . you just have to shoot your gun and get the feel for it at different sight ranges. You cannot beat the slug guns or a 30/30 for the short range type stalk/brush hunting.

I jumped a buck on a stalk and shot him as he was running straight away from me at 75-100+, I was holding level, right on his back as he came up on the run and as he was on the bounce coming up the third to fifth time, I fired and he dropped like a rock and slid to a halt..LOL. Man that was fun to watch. the slug entered in the rear end of this deer's * LMHO (No Kidden) and followed the spine and lodged in the neck.
    Yea I ended up calling a local gun shop and he said that rifled slugs will fire through some modified chokes. But he is not sure if remington is one of the best to be fireing through. But if it isnt $44 dollars and I will have a riffled shoke and probabally shooting sabots. But them are some pricy bast@&%$

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also Forgot to mention It is illegal to Hunt with a rifel in iowa except for the Bottom 2 counties all the way across But there all JERKS down there from what I have heard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast