Barge pits and hot water discharge

jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Barge pits and hot water discharge

Unfortunately I am confined to bank fishing, so today I took the 5 mile track around the barge pits and fished in numerous places. Nothing, not a nibble(even with shad)! Now here's my question, what do the fish in there relate to. My chart tells me the deepest it is is 1 Mark Twain('12) and very uniform across the whole pit. First, is my chart lying, and second, if not, where do fish hold. And the discharge canal tops out at '5 feet(or so says my map) and is also uniform, where would they be in there? And thirdly, as compared to the main river, how's the fishing in there?

Thanks,

Andrew

Michael Rakestraw
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The barge pit is anywhere from a foot to about 14 foot at the deepest spot. There are humps, rock piles, barges and about anything else you can think of in the barge pit and that is usually where we have caught some nice fish (up to 70 lbs).
    2. The hot water discharge channel is fairly shallow but there is a spot that is double digits. It is by no means uniform across, it can be as shallow as a couple of feet to about 11 feet.
    3. During the winter I like fishing the barge pit and hot water area rather than the main channel. During the warmer months the water in the hot water discharge is too hot for fish but during the winter is just right.
    If you have access to a canoe or fishing kayak you can get into some really good spots in there. But if you or anyone reading this has a boat and wants to fish that area you might MUST be very careful and take it slow. There are things in those areas that will break your heart, boat and the bank.
    Hope this helps out. I can't give out my secret spots but there is plenty of fish in there.

jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat69 View Post
    1. The barge pit is anywhere from a foot to about 14 foot at the deepest spot. There are humps, rock piles, barges and about anything else you can think of in the barge pit and that is usually where we have caught some nice fish (up to 70 lbs).
    2. The hot water discharge channel is fairly shallow but there is a spot that is double digits. It is by no means uniform across, it can be as shallow as a couple of feet to about 11 feet.
    3. During the winter I like fishing the barge pit and hot water area rather than the main channel. During the warmer months the water in the hot water discharge is too hot for fish but during the winter is just right.
    If you have access to a canoe or fishing kayak you can get into some really good spots in there. But if you or anyone reading this has a boat and wants to fish that area you might MUST be very careful and take it slow. There are things in those areas that will break your heart, boat and the bank.
    Hope this helps out. I can't give out my secret spots but there is plenty of fish in there.

Okay cool, I do use a kayak at times and it looks like I'll take it there. Do I have to lug it down there, or can I put in somewhere near there? It's a little far to come from the main channel.

Michael Rakestraw
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on where you can put it in at but I would avoid the main channel at all cost. I do know there is an area back there that is used for it but I am not sure how to get back in there.

Ramon
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

everything Mike has told you is on the money-he and Jason have taught me everything I know about the james. If your Kayak isnt too heavy-you can park at henricus and put in there-but they do have open/close hours on the dock

jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluecat69 View Post

A friend of mine tells me it's a crap shoot, they can be anywhere, up on the bank, in barges, etc and you should move around a lot, what do you think?

Michael Rakestraw
    Post Thanks / Like

As in any kind of fishing you have to find them. I do have a few spots in there that I can usually catch a citation most of the time. They do move around so you just have to find them and hang on.