Quantcast
Chicken gizzards and hearts for catfish bait

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Josh
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chicken gizzards and hearts for catfish bait

Has anybody given these a try? I was going to pick up some livers at the store today and seen a 1lb package of hearts and gizzards for $.50. So I cut them up in chunks and im letting them soak in garlic powder over night. Im going to try them out and see how they work. One thing I noticed right away is that the meat is so much tougher and will stay on the hook alot better. So hopefully I can catch some cats with them:big_smile: . Of course if they arent hitting them at all, then i will change to crawlers or throw my net out and get some shad.

Mark Owens
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm anxious to see how they work. But gizzards and hearts are so good fried and with hot sauce.

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

Never tried hearts, but I've tried gizzards alongside livers several times; the livers caught fish, the gizzards caught nothing.
    If you're looking for a tough bait, try cutting up some salt pork into bait-sized pieces.

Patrick aka (Hop)
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried to use gizzards and hearts along time ago and had zero luck. I had liver on the hooks in the same area as the other and caught fish all night long. I think the feel of the hearts and gizzards (kinda tuff) is not what the cats are looking for. I have recently been using turkey liver and I am doing well with them. They are larger than chicken liver and theystay on the hook better. I can launch them out about 50 feet into the river without slinging them off.

Tim Hagan
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok Guys Hearts right from the store have been washed and will have no or very little blood on them. I use chicken and turkey hearts all the time and catch fish up to 50 lbs on them. You will need to add the hearts to some blood or chicken liver and let them soak. When they get blood in them again they are as good if not better then liver and they stay on the hooks great. Sometimes we catch 3 or 4 fish on the seem heart try that with liver.

Rick
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried them before, they stay on the hook real well, but...they don't have quite the scent or bloodyness that livers do, so your best bet is to soak them in something stinky like garlic powder or even add some extra blood in there and let them marinate.

Tracey Irwin
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had some luck on hearts at times

Tom
    Post Thanks / Like

Give that "chickenbait" to the dogs. Go to the fish market and get some fresh caught fish like Perch, Shad, Mackeral, Bass and chop it up, put it on a hook and let em have it. The "filet mignon" of catfish bait. Or get a small gold spoon and jig for some fresh caught bait. Put a chunk on a 8/0 hook with a slip sinker, now your catching cats!

Steve Oxley
    Post Thanks / Like

My father in-law always used Turkey liver. Said it stayed on much better than Chicken liver.

steven

Post Thanks / Like

I have used chicken hearts and gizzards straight out of the package. They worked so good i caught 3 stringers full of cats. They are also good at ******** where you have to throw way out to get to the big fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast