Best North Carolina lake to fish for blue catfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best North Carolina lake to fish for blue catfish

what is the best lake to catch Blue catfish in, in North Carolina, and for that lake what is the best bait.

mack
    Post Thanks / Like

Default kerr

kerr lake .....shad...

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

i have not been but i heard lake norman on cut bait makes for some big fish:confused2:

John
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not had the chance to fish it YET (for cats) but I would agree with Mack in NC.... KERR!!! bait of choice ..SHAD!!!! (the fresher the better)

I think Kerr holds the VA. record blue....

Robert
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakes

I would disagree with you guys. kerr lake isn't the best in the state. You hear about more and bigger blues coming from Badin then anywhere. The Cape Fear is probley second for size. If you want numbers go to Tillery, Norman and Kerr. I would say that the new NC record will come from BAdin within a year. It's a possablility of a new record flat too. That lake holds so many flats it's not funny. The main reason i say this is because the food supply is there. There's huge pops of shad ,herring and whiteperch, along with tones of clams, makes a good combation for big fish. See-ya.

CMJ
    monster catfish

Default Lakes

I would have to agree with Tomahawk, I don't have all that much experience on Badin catfishing but I know from what he catches that it has the potential for the biggest blue cat. Tillery has a lot of blues in the 20 to 40 pound range, and a few a little bigger. All of those other lakes are good too. Take your pick.

Dieter
    Post Thanks / Like

I will jump on board with tomahawk. Per square mile I think Badin is one of the best and I agree it has the greatest potential for a new state record.

Norman has some nice blues, but there does not seem to be the number of large fish that Badin has for its size. Personally I have not had that much good luck on large blues in Norman.

mack
    Post Thanks / Like

Default kerr

no doubt about it badin is 1 of the best........but its hard to beat kerr...............even if half of the fish live in virginia the big ones can and do exist on the nc side also..............i doubt if any lake in nc this year has 2 like has been caught at kerr........a 79 lber and a 61 lber...........if you live in raleigh all you hear about is 40 and 50 lbers caught at kerr........if you live near norman you will here more about that lake

glenn hughes aka stump jumper

IP: 208.17.72.170

Apr 27, 06 - 7:23 AM big blue weighed

hello fellows warren called me this morning and told me someone weighed in a 79 pound blue at his store.
    Email: ghughes@gateprecast.com

glenn hughes aka stump jumper

IP: 208.17.72.170

Apr 27th, 2006 - 7:33 AM Re: big blue weighed

hi guys i just got another call from a friend and he said travis father weighed in a 61 pound blue yesterday as well the big blues are on the move.
    Email: ghughes@gateprecast.com

Toby

IP: 65.172.28.3

Apr 27th, 2006 - 8:36 AM Re: big blue weighed

Durn....79? And I been bass fishing hoping to catch a 5 lber!! See you all on Monday at the PUB for the meeting.

Toby
    jclayton78

IP: 65.151.191.98

Apr 27th, 2006 - 4:07 PM Re: big blue weighed

were these big fish released?
    Email: jclayton78@yahoo.com

law201

IP: 65.254.162.130

Apr 28th, 2006 - 10:25 PM Re: big blue weighed

The 61 lb. one was caught by a jugger so I DOUBT if he was released.It is ashame people keep the big ones like there will be no tomorrow.As many fishermen as is on the lake now it is going to take its toll if people don't use common sense.I know someone will probably make a comment that it is there right to keep it.That is true but if a man is out there on the lake on a boat he is not out there because he is starving as high as everything is to do with fishing.It is like that credit card commercial when they go on about how they can buy things with the card and then they talk about what they did with there child was priceless.It is a darn good feeling to turn loose a nice fish for someone else to catch and have a memorable time that they might remember the rest of there life.
    Last edited by mack in n.c.; 05-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.

michael

Post Thanks / Like

mack those are nice fish also but there has been a 68lber caught by tomahawk at badin in jan, there was a 70lber caught in march, and there was a 75lber caught a few week ago out of badin all blues. tomahawk got at least four over 65lbs last year along all by himself. i think he said 17 fish over 50lbs for him last year along. hes caught 4 over 50 this year that i know of. there was 90lber caught on a jug line a few years ago that was released back into the lake .. so there has to be several new state records in there. i forgot there was 83 lber caught there a few years ago. i ve been lucky enough to hook a few but never land them along with several others on here. im with badin myself but wouldnt turn down kerr either. i think im heading down there now.

mack
    Post Thanks / Like

Default kerr

that search for those 2 cats took me all of 3 minutes.........those are not just the only big ones....badin maybe better.....maybe not ...no way to really know........i think norman has the nc state record and kerr the va state record......couuld be wrong about that but think thats right...mack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast