Quantcast
Shocking a pond??

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HAROLD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shocking a pond??

Anybody ever shocked a pond or used something to stun the fish for a little while? I am interested in shocking a small pond on my property I am attempting to turn into my bait pond for catfishing but am looking for somebody that could loan or rent me something to shock it with. I have done all kinds of searches on the internet but cant seem to find what I am looking for. This pond currently has some pretty good bait in it already but the previous owners put crappie in there and they are overpopulated. I need to get them all out so I can put the baitfish in that I want and get the supply going without them all getten eat buy the crappie. Plus the fact that I just need to know how much baitfish is already in this pond. Any help someone could give is apprecieated.

Sam
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested in how to make or borrow one also. My buddy has a pond that he put 100 channel cats in a few years back, but now they don't come up for food anymore and he can't catch them.
    He's wanting to shock it to see if someone has fished it out, or if they all died somehow?(freeze?)
    I've got a generator, but would rather not have 220 volts going through my gonads!

Ray Adkins
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure how big a pond yer talkin, a cast net should give ya a good idea a whats there. MDC may come check it for ya if ya call them.

Jay
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shocking a pond

The best I ever heard of is an old hand-crank telephone. attach 6 to 8 ft of copper wire to the + and - and giv 'er you know what. I'll bet the MDC won't like U tryin' this they view such activity the same as a 1/4 stick goin in the water. if ya already asked them 4 a survey be real careful. them boys don't have a sense of humor at all. I've never been involved in such activity b4, but know some who have.

BOB
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I know one thing for sure the MDC will not appeciate a crank phone set up at all!!, thats crossbar hotel stuff for them, use a throw net or get a sein that will tell ya don't go shocking or trying even if its your own place it still trouble

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

i called mdc the other day about my pond. the axed the program to check private ponds, and from what ive read in the conservationist if they get involved in your pond you have to follow state regs and allow public to fish it. that being said a handcrank phone works but hard to find. all you need is a dc generator not alternator. old tractors have dc generators. than all you need is a cordless drill and a boat. not that i have done it but ive researched how to do it. also type fish shocker on ebay.

James .N

Post Thanks / Like

If you all ready have BAIt in it why shock it ? Are Crappie illeagle to use there ?

Ray Adkins
    Post Thanks / Like

James Yep sure are.

J.C.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MDC is still building ponds but will not stock them due to budget cuts. They will only build in an erosion problem sittuation.
    The only way they ever checked an existing pond was if you wanted them to stock it.
    You do not have to let the public fish it. You only need to be sure enough fish are harvested to keep it from getting to many and stunting the growth.
    You pick who fishes it!!
    "TAKE A KID FISHIN"

The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it.
    The flag flies because each soldiers' last breath blows by it!

USMC 64-68

Greg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

if it is only a small pond you can try a large seine net. not sure how effective this would be but it seems to me if its not too deep it might work. if not perhaps a livestock electric fence. or, just get a buddy drunk, give him a plugged in extension cord, and let him show you how its done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast