Salem lake, Winston Salem, North Carolina

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salem lake, Winston Salem, North Carolina

has anybody ever fished salem lake for the flathead catfish. i know they have gotten some big fish out of that lake and i was wondering if anybody has any info about the lake....

ed

Barb King
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ed,
    I haven't fished it in years but I do know you can still rent boats, fish form the pier, or do some bank fishing.
    Even though you don't see or hear much about that lake I do occasionly talk to people at baitshops that do fish it and they swear there are still plenty of big fish being caught in there. You just have to know how and when to get them.

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

i know you are NOT allowed to fish from the bank.. you can rent boats or fish from the pier... i saw pics of a 50 lb. flathead caught from the pier but i was just wondering if anybody has fished it. i do have a little boat that needs a little fixing up but it is to small for the bigger lakes. so it would be perfect for there, until i can get a bigger boat for the big lakes. and with all the boat traffic on the bigger lakes i just want a little peace. plus it is close....

ed

Barb King
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by striper
    i know you are NOT allowed to fish from the bank.. you can rent boats or fish from the pier... i saw pics of a 50 lb. flathead caught from the pier but i was just wondering if anybody has fished it. i do have a little boat that needs a little fixing up but it is to small for the bigger lakes. so it would be perfect for there, until i can get a bigger boat for the big lakes. and with all the boat traffic on the bigger lakes i just want a little peace. plus it is close....

ed
    Wow, do you know when they stopped the bank fishing? Was talking to a guy in a shop less than a month ago and they were buying some stuff and were going out there to bank fish. Said they go a couple times a week.
    Sorry about the wrong info. Thanks for setting it straight!

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know. when i was reading indormation about the lake over a year ago it said no bank fishing. just pier fishing. maybe that is what he meant. or he knows of a place around the lake where he doesn't get caught.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know. when i was reading indormation about the lake over a year ago it said no bank fishing. just pier fishing. maybe that is what he meant. or he knows of a place around the lake where he doesn't get caught.
    Been no bank fishing there as long as I can remember. They have a long pier there... don't know how long, but seems as long as a football field.

I have never caught anything but small ones (12 inches and less) out of there. Some decent large mouth bass, but when you consider that they charge you to launch your boat and for each person in it, it is cheaper to pay for the gas to drive to High Rock lake.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 05-07-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

i know. but when you don't have alot of time to fish and this lake is close, i only live 10 min away, and has some decent flathead fishing, and the annual fee to fish is almost cheaper that gas these days. all the other lakes are 40-60 min away. i just wanted to know if anybody had any information on the lake.

mack
    Post Thanks / Like

Default salem info

hello striper...never fished it but if you can find the august 2003 issue of north carolina sportsman there is a good article on the flatheads there..........see if you know someone who maybe has alot of old issues.......if not i can mail of fax you a copy...mack

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

i know. but when you don't have alot of time to fish and this lake is close, i only live 10 min away, and has some decent flathead fishing, and the annual fee to fish is almost cheaper that gas these days. all the other lakes are 40-60 min away. i just wanted to know if anybody had any information on the lake.
    Sorry, I didn't answer your question did I??? Anyhow, when we did fish it we had one honey hole that seem to just keep getting us some fish. If you have a boat head straight out from the harbor and ease a little to the left. Right where the water way greatly constricts (I mean goes from a couple thousand feet wide to about 200 hunder feet wide.... kinda where it looks like a river flows into the lake) we would drift right over that area and it seemed like we got some type of hit every time on livers. Keep in mind, I am not talking about a hard left where the railroad tracks are located.

The people that I know that have caught the large flatties there all swear by the same bait....... Crappie........ Go figure, the lake has an abundance of 4-8 inch crappie. Hope this one helps a little more.....

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

yes it does.. thank you. i am just looking for a spot that is close to home. so when i get 3-4 hrs to fish before the park closes i can fish. waiting a week is killing me. plus i get up for work at 3:30 so i really can't go anywhere far away and fish all night. but if i can get into a couple of those flatheads it would make whatever i pay worth it. thanks for the information

ed...