interesting facts about catfish that can help a fisherman - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nate
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playin4funami View Post
    Was reading some studies the other day and came across some interesting facts about flatheads, that could possibly help anglers out when out fishing.

-the flatheads hearing is into the 13,000 mhz range,by comparison bass and walleye,and other types of fish rarely exceed the 1,000 mhz range meaning a flatheads hearing is 13 times better than most other fish in the water! The study said flatheads could hear a vibration or noise on the shore or water for up to 1/2 mile away depending on current,wow!

- The flatheads eyesight is very good, they have three types of sight abilities the rod, cone and verticle rods in their eyes make them able to detect even the faintest light from above and also to see in color, and almost perfect site in the dark.all around they have some of the best eyesight of all freshwater fish.

- their entire body is covered with taste buds not just the mouth and barbels although the body has alot fewer than the barbels.

- male flatheads live longer and get bigger than the female flathead, which is opposite of almost every other species of fish

- male flatheads make the spawning nest and then attract a female where she lays her eggs then the male flathead chases the female away and hatches and protects the eggs and fry until they leave of their own accord, during the whole spawning period the male flathead doesn't eat at all, and may raise up to three different broods a year, one after the other without a break.

Some of you may have already known most or all of this but if ya didn't you can think it over for any fishing help you can garner from it!
    thanks for the great info as always man!!! This may help a bit.. Next time il be real quiet when targetting them!! LOL..

Jack
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I always catch more and bigger flatheads fishing alone, one person makes less noise than 2, unless you talk to yourself.

Niko
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brenardo View Post
    I have been told by several fisherman that you need to fish with as little light on as possible, but how do you get around the fact you have to have an anchor light on your boat after dusk?
    In the summer you see guys out on the rivers and lakes in complete black, no lights not even the anchor lights. We call them ... morons. If you are that hardcore that even an anchor light is to much then tie the boat to the shore and setup there. No fish is worth losing your life over. I am a bit more strict about these things because my primary fishing water is the Ohio river and you will lose your life out there if your not smart.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, I've always tried to be as quiet as possible when I go fishing, I'm not one to have a radio or drink beer with my buddies all night long and hearing this is pretty good news for me. One of my buddies ALWAYS wants to go fishing for flatheads and he's one of those guys that HAS to have a radio going, and talking loudly, the whole nine yards, and he wonders why I don't like going with him or why he never catches one,lol. Thanks for the report man!

Nick
    Post Thanks / Like

when fishing with live bait for flatheads i put a small mr crappie rattle float a couple inches from my hook. it keeps the bait off the bottom and makes noise when the bait trys to struggle.

Travis
    Post Thanks / Like

good stuff. especially the hearing, guess ill be ditchin the little radio i listen to. thanks for the help!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by playin4funami View Post
    Was reading some studies the other day and came across some interesting facts about flatheads, that could possibly help anglers out when out fishing.

-the flatheads hearing is into the 13,000 mhz range,by comparison bass and walleye,and other types of fish rarely exceed the 1,000 mhz range meaning a flatheads hearing is 13 times better than most other fish in the water! The study said flatheads could hear a vibration or noise on the shore or water for up to 1/2 mile away depending on current,wow!

- The flatheads eyesight is very good, they have three types of sight abilities the rod, cone and verticle rods in their eyes make them able to detect even the faintest light from above and also to see in color, and almost perfect site in the dark.all around they have some of the best eyesight of all freshwater fish.

- their entire body is covered with taste buds not just the mouth and barbels although the body has alot fewer than the barbels.

- male flatheads live longer and get bigger than the female flathead, which is opposite of almost every other species of fish

- male flatheads make the spawning nest and then attract a female where she lays her eggs then the male flathead chases the female away and hatches and protects the eggs and fry until they leave of their own accord, during the whole spawning period the male flathead doesn't eat at all, and may raise up to three different broods a year, one after the other without a break.

Some of you may have already known most or all of this but if ya didn't you can think it over for any fishing help you can garner from it!
    REPS TO YOU SIR !!!!!

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

I was doing so more looking around and finding something to compare a flatheads hearing too. it seems a flatheads hearing is pretty much equivilent to a human male age 40 with "normal" hearing loss as compared to a 16 year olds with no hearing loss. Now imagine your head underwater and what you hear,like say in the bathtub or whatever and how every little noise although not clear to us is really loud. like a radio or other sound source, it may not be clear but it definatly loud. as with anyone sounds you hear every day get to be normal and almost un-noticed, but a out of place sound is rapidly observed. Sounds travel amazing distances underwater, especially low sounds, quite amazing some of this stuff. Does it all matter to fishing? who knows, but I need every advantage I can get. I'm guessing this is why bank and limblines work so well, no-one around to make any noise to scare off fish?

So stick your head under in a bathtub and have someone or yourself tap the outside of the tub lightly, I am imagining thats what a flattie hears as I walk on the bank or bump something in the boat. That not being a normal sound I would think it would make a flattie say to his self whoa somethings not kosher here,exit stage right. this is supposition of course, I'm just trying to understand how quiet I need to be, and what is going to set off a flatties internal alarm system, heck I just want to catch more fish,lol!

I fish from shore in total darkness, but wouldn't reccomend sitting in a busy river or lake at night with no light whatsoever! You need to have that 360 marker light going so you don't get ran over. but a sheild under it like a flat plate 5 inches down to keep any direct light off the water wouldn't hurt as long as it did not resrict others veiw of your anchor light.

byron
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flathunter View Post
    Thats why I always catch more and bigger flatheads fishing alone, one person makes less noise than 2, unless you talk to yourself.
    I second the above.
    Its the only way to go if your serious about catchin flatheads.

Joe
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting reading indeed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast