Range Cubes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Cubes

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Range Cubes

How many of you have tried using range cubes for bait?? If you have tried them, how has your success on "cats" been?

I started using some a couple of weeks ago. Have caught 2 carp with them and lost a couple of "big somethings" and had bunches of hard bites.

Tom
    Post Thanks / Like

Never used them for bait, but have used them to chum an area. Easy to throw where ever you want, easy to "seed" an area.

willisjj
    monster catfish

What is a range cube? Never heard of it and don't wanna be missing out on something here!

You wouldn't be talking about what we used to call a "salt lick" would you?

Bill Hartman
    Post Thanks / Like

willisjj
    Range cubes is cattle feed. It is what they feed them with if there is not a lot of grass and hay. It is also used to fatten up a calf.

Bill Hartman
    Post Thanks / Like

Sentry
    how would you get them on a hook?

Mike Miller
    Post Thanks / Like

Drill a hole through them. God bless.

Mike Stoops
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Same as cotton seed cake

But souped up with minerals & vitamins. What I do is use stringer clips and place one 3/0 hook facing out on the clip add a cube with a center hole and another hook facing the other way. I use em on limb lines with the cube just a few inches under water. Good for Cat, Carp and occasionally most anything--had a sunfish snag on one once. A different way preferred by some is to have the hooks on separate lines from the cube and tie (or use a rubber band) the hooks to the outside of the cube.

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coloman
    Sentry
    how would you get them on a hook?

I have started sawing a slot in them, the full length of the cube, then place the hook in the slot, and then rubber banding them.

I tried drilling the hole thru them and caught a few carp and lost a couple of whatevers. But, the slot method, with a rubber band is a better method for attaching the cube to the hook, IMO.

Jerry Trew
    Post Thanks / Like

How soft do those range cubes get once they're wet? And how long does it take. It seems to me that if the cubes stay hard a long time, they would interfere with the hook being able to do its job. If they soften up pretty quick, just keep a few wet so they'll go on the hook easily.

Larry
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Range Cubes

Hey Fella's,

I posted a complete bait formula in the Carp Fishing section a couple months back with instructions on how I mix and use the range cubes (pellets) for cats and carp. Not sure how to link it to this message, but it is listed under new to carp fishing post in that the Carp Fishing Section, carp n' cat bait and rig . It works really well, easy to make and very economical. It will also last through the winter if you keep it refrigerated and works just as well next season. It is a great bait in warm weather for eater sized cats.

Hope You Try It :)

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast