Eating bullheads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zach Ramsey
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eating bullheads?

I went to the pond right down the road and was catching bullheads all day. caught over 80 for sure. they were all over a pound. the water is really clean and so are the fish. I was wondering if anyone has ate bullheads?
    I've heard they taste better then channels and better then crappie. I love channels and crappie more then any other fish to eat so I think I'm gonna wait till the spawns done and catch me a stringer or four full ofem and fryem up for me and the neighbors.

daniel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel View Post
    I went to the pond right down the road and was catching bullheads all day. caught over 80 for sure. they were all over a pound. the water is really clean and so are the fish. I was wondering if anyone has ate bullheads?
    I've heard they taste better then channels and better then crappie. I love channels and crappie more then any other fish to eat so I think I'm gonna wait till the spawns done and catch me a stringer or four full ofem and fryem up for me and the neighbors.
    I dont know that they taste better than crappie or channels but i cooked some one time and they did taste really good, since bullies like to burrow down in the mud i put them in a cooler full of hose water overnight to filter out the mud taste before i cleaned them

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

bullhead are good eats....just as stated above let them clean themselves out in water for a few days you will taste the difference...

Lance
    Post Thanks / Like

They are good ! small-n-tasty ! If you are catching pounders you got a pretty good hole ! And when I clean them I soak them for at least 24 hours in salt-water changing frequently.

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I usually don't mess with them they are decent tablefare and worth the effort, a kiddy pool or other tank is great for letting them clean out till you get ready to fry them up, fresh is best!

Mason
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't stand them...

...they have a consistency of chewy chicken , and don't taste very well.
    To each their own , good luck with them. Next time you catch them , look beneath the chin for green and white worms or leeches.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I ate bullhead once.....NEVER AGAIN. That sucker was nasty!! I'm not sure what exactly it tasted like, but whatever it was, it wasn't good. To each his own. The crappie out of that same lake taste great, and i've never had a channel cat taste like that from anywhere. All my fish sit in saltwater for at least 24hrs after they are filleted.

Preston Hobbs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

all bullheads ain't created equal.the brown and black bull heads taste good,but theirs one we call the speckle cat,red meat nasty.they are kind of chewy tho.not worth messing with in my oppinion.

matt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bullheads

well theres many oppenions about the fish. if cleaned properly like many posts above stated . first off when putting them on the stringer stab the pointed part of the stringer threw there bottom lip this will keep them alive and not hurt there gills AT ALL,then the kiddie pool or big laundry tub and fill with NON CITY WATER <---- clhorinated water will kill the fish . lake water works fine too this will let em clean out some. i'd say fer good 24-48 hours , altho this is not needed i just fillet and soak in salt water n limon juice. then deep fry in the mild hot cajin seasoning can you say yummy !!!!!

Now thats thats out of the way i'd like to explain a few things about the bullheads. spoted bullhead or mud cat or red cat or junk cat all the same one , they live in the mud so they get paracites in non spring fed waters or in florida just about 90% of them have paracite they are a tiny yellow ball looking thing that burrows threw the skin and into the meat of the catfish or the green looking leach or water tick as i call them. now after seeing my father in law eat every one of these paracite infested cats i desided to call the game warden and chat with the bio. department .the yellow paracites do not kill the host and will not harm you in any way he just said fallow proper cooking procedure the same as any fish . so if i get a bullhead i keep em for my wifes daddy if the yellow dots bother ya you can pickem out with your fillet knife there mainly around the muscle parts tail n what not ...we just eat em n enjoy the extra protien LOL .as fer the green or odd colored paracites under there chins it's just the same as a tick thats it no harm to you or the fish just a rider getting a free meal same as ticks or chiggers .so if it bothers ya just catch n release em i catch em and eat em hoping that one day i'll start getting channels outa that hole. just call your local game warden or ranger station and ask about the paracites in the bullheads <---- mainly a southern states problem or any mud bottom where in the summer the wate rcan hit that magic temp where paricites bloom and over populate the lake or pond. there is a diffrence in paracites in the fish and
    fertalizer and pesticide run off tainting the fish these are non eatable and often posted in your regulations book . when in dout set em free or call your game warden and seek info gl and the red meat tastes best when soaked in butter milk for a day er to

Molly
    Post Thanks / Like

Those yellow things (commonly called Yellow Grubs) are actually a parasitic worm called Clinostomum. They're harmless to humans (especially if the fish is properly cooked), but they are unsightly. And those green leeches are a common freshwater parasite of fish, Myzobdella lugubris. If you skin the fish, they come right off and pose no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast