Sea Ark ?'s - Conventional MV vs Tunnel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea Ark ?'s - Conventional MV vs Tunnel

I'm considering a Sea Ark 2072 for an all-around fishing and hunting boat. I have never owned a boat before and need to ask some embarassing ?'s.

At what water depth, does one benefit from having a tunnel hull with a prop or jet outboard? Compared to a conventional mv (3 degree deadrise) / prop outboard?

I know that the tunnel hull on plane will run in inches but isn't a lot of the advantage lost at slow speed?

Thanks-Fred

TF
    Paul
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Fred, good question. Now I am not a boat expert by any means, but do haunt what is considered a snag infested southern swamp river.

For this area, when its low, low being 3.5 - 4.7 guage level, we all do fine with a 3 degree hull.

You just have to watch it.

If you are doing some hardcore running, and don't want to spring for a jet, a tunnel would be the best bet.

But what people call shallow is subjective.

You ask me, my river gets shallow.

You ask Mark_J, he will say 6" is shallow, and have you building a super board boat.

- You run average shallow rivers, 3 degree hull.

- Power of a prop, low maintenance of a prop, really shallow running water go Tunnel...

- True hard core skinny water, or peace of mind, loss of power, go a jet.

- Best of course would be your river pro line, big $$$, 200HP inboard Merc Jets..

- A good lower cost solution would be your traditional outboard jets.

TF
    Paul
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

For reference, so you know I am not biased, I am sponsored by Sea Ark, and run a 1966 G3 DLX center console.

Then for further confusion, took off the outboard they are partnered with, and re-powered with an ETEC.

Horse-MON
    Keith
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Roger doger 10-4 on the ETEC.

TF
    Paul
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

I really like those ETEC's myself.. :biggrin:

john fisher
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm lookin at the north American fisherman rag on good buys of good boats. listed is Sea Arc rivercat 180. I covet this boat, anything a dufus like me could ever want, hunt and fish till you give up and plenty of room to swing by the swimmin area and load up a few tubers. Stick a 150 on this lil' rig and if you can drive will run with the best of em. Donations accepted, i got the motor and just need the hull.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. Part of my problem with deciding what to buy is that I go back and forth between something along a Sea Ark 2072 or a 20-24 ft. pontoon.

There are Pros and Cons for each type of boat.

A second problem is that there are no Sea Ark Dealers in my area. I ought to pick out one of the larger dealerships and go look a some boats. But I would like to have a good idea if I wanted a tunnel or not before I make a trip.

In Sea Ark's 2072 line, I like the CUB model, add the diamond-plate floor, the basic 'adjustable-leg' side console, and mabe the 30 gal. bow tank options. I'm a less-is-more type. Oh, I forgot, somewhere along the process, add a binimi top.

Dennis
    Post Thanks / Like

my .02 cents

When you're looking at the Sea Arks or other type boats, remember this..... it doesn't cost you much more to add additional length (feet) to the boat. But, it however cost you when you add width! At least that is how I under stand it. So, if you're looking at t 2072, you may want to bump up to a 2272 for a minimal increase.

It maybe different today, as I ran into that issue when I bought my Sea Ark years ago (1860). After I purchased I always told myself that a 2272 would be perfect for fishing on the rivers! Also, I liked the AlWeld's, the only other boat I would consider besides a Sea Ark.

Josh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandfish1 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Part of my problem with deciding what to buy is that I go back and forth between something along a Sea Ark 2072 or a 20-24 ft. pontoon.

There are Pros and Cons for each type of boat.

A second problem is that there are no Sea Ark Dealers in my area. I ought to pick out one of the larger dealerships and go look a some boats. But I would like to have a good idea if I wanted a tunnel or not before I make a trip.

In Sea Ark's 2072 line, I like the CUB model, add the diamond-plate floor, the basic 'adjustable-leg' side console, and mabe the 30 gal. bow tank options. I'm a less-is-more type. Oh, I forgot, somewhere along the process, add a binimi top.
    It seems like those boats have a wildly different purpose. Search for stuff about jets and waves. They aren't for rough water as I've read.

Jeremy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBarrel View Post
    it doesn't cost you much more to add additional length (feet) to the boat..

In 2007 when I ordered my Seaark CUB a foot of boat cost $500,, the 22' was $1000 more than the 20' and the 24' was $2000 more than the 20'

the CUB was $1200 more than a MV,,,, and well worth it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast